What CPU for mobo Supermicro X11SSM-F?

glauco

Guru
I'm considering upgrading the CPU on my Supermicro X11SSM-F motherboard because my current Intel Pentium G4560 isn't powerful enough for Emby to transcode a 4K stream on the fly.
Supermicro says said mobo supports the following CPUs:
  • Intel® 7th/6th Generation Core i3 series
  • Intel® Celeron®
  • Intel® Pentium®
  • Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 v6/v5.
in an LGA 1151 (H4) socket, max TDP: 80W.

Now I'm wondering:
  • why doesn't it support 7th gen (Kaby Lake) Core i5 and i7 CPUs? Don't they use the same LGA1151 socket?
  • which CPU would you recommend? Based on what, just clock speed? Does it make sense to go for a CPU with integrated graphics capabilities such as E3-12x5v6 Xeons over their E3-12x0v6 counterparts?
Thank you!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
why doesn't it support 7th gen (Kaby Lake) Core i5 and i7 CPUs? Don't they use the same LGA1151 socket?
Because they don't support ECC memory and are therefore unsuitable for use in a server.
Does it make sense to go for a CPU with integrated graphics capabilities
FreeNAS can't pass those graphics capabilities to a jail for use in transcode, so that is a pointless waste.
transcode a 4K stream on the fly.
https://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/
also
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...look-the-emperor-has-no-clothes/#7a0b2c79eaa5

Inxsible

Guru
which CPU would you recommend? Based on what, just clock speed?
You need to look at the PassMark of the CPU. 4K needs higher value passmarks -- much higher than transcoding 1080p HD. So you will be paying a premium to buy a CPU able to support such a transcode. You will also find that the latest and greatest CPUs will also not support more than 1 or 2 4K transcodes simultaneously because they need such high passmark values.

glauco

Guru
Thank you both for your food for thought!
Now I'm trying to figure out whether Emby in a jail can take advantage of CPU and GPU hardware decoding before shelling out hard-earned cash.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I already answered.
FreeNAS, in a jail or not, can NOT use a GPU.

That means no video card in a slot and no integrated GPU in the CPU. None of that. If you really need 4K, and I don't think anyone does, but if you really thing you gota have it and you want to use a GPU to accelerate the transcode, you are going to need to setup a separate system. A physically separate system. Using Windows or Linux because FreeNAS does not support GPU pass through to a VM either.

FreeNAS = no GPU.

GeekGoneOld

Dabbler
Is this still true? I thought I saw some posts (maybe in Plex forums) that said some people used GPU PCIe cards with FreeNAS for HW accel. Sorry, can't find the post - read WAY too many! It is possible that they were talking about just FreeBSD, not FreeNAS but I thought it was specifically FreeNAS.

Like the OP here, I would LOVE to use a CPU/GPU (E2146G) but if that is impossible, a GPU PCIe.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

GeekGoneOld

Dabbler
I now think I've seen posts saying FreeBSD and I'm sure some of those were supporting GPU use in a jail. Is it currently so that it doesn't work or is it "not supported".

glauco

Guru

pschatz100

Guru
Think about your entire workflow. Do you really need to transcode 4K?

If your media playback device supports 4K, then your media server does not have to transcode - only serve the file, which does not take much CPU power. For instance, all my TV's have 4K Roku's which can consume 4K input without transcoding. This would also be true for many 4K compatible smart TV's, Amazon Firesticks, etc. You get the idea.

Systems like Plex and Emby provide support for multiple versions of a movie at different resolutions, so with some preparation up front, the need for transcoding is kept to a minimum.

BBarker

Contributor
Think about your entire workflow. Do you really need to transcode 4K?

If your media playback device supports 4K, then your media server does not have to transcode - only serve the file, which does not take much CPU power. For instance, all my TV's have 4K Roku's which can consume 4K input without transcoding. This would also be true for many 4K compatible smart TV's, Amazon Firesticks, etc. You get the idea.

Systems like Plex and Emby provide support for multiple versions of a movie at different resolutions, so with some preparation up front, the need for transcoding is kept to a minimum.

I agree with this. Just assuming that you have 4K content because you have playback devices that support it. You could also rip a 720p copy of your 4K files and keep them for streaming to devices that would need transcoding and not have to change your CPU at all.

You would need a Passmark score of approx 12000 per stream to go from 4k to 1080 at 10mbps. I do not think any of the processors you listed are anywhere near that.

Last edited:

jw1980

Cadet
I think I'm convinced however can someone reassure me that a Intel Xeon E3-1225 Processors BX80677E31225V6 is compatible in a Supermicro Motherboard MBD-X11SSM-F-B Xeon E3-1200 v5 LGA1151 Socket H4 C236. Thanks for the time

Glorious1

Guru
If your media playback device supports 4K, then your media server does not have to transcode - only serve the file, which does not take much CPU power.
Exactly! People think they need to transcode when they don't. Personally, I use Kodi in a small home theater PC (actually a Mac mini) connected to the TV via HDMI, it streams the original file from my FreeNAS server, with no hefty processor needed and no loss of quality due to rapid transcoding.

pschatz100

Guru
If the media player can play the format, then the server doesn't need to transcode. Simple as that. I personally like 4K Roku's because I don't want another computer to worry about - but there is nothing wrong with using a Firestick, Kodi, Plex Player, or any other device that can play the media. Many of the newer 4K TV's can play the Hi Def media natively as well.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Supermicro X11SS-series of motherboards takes Xeon E3 v5/v6, i3 6xxx/7xxx and equivalent Celeron and Pentiums. Note that v6 and similar may need a BIOS Update if you get a used board. New stock should be fine.

The Supermicro X11SC-series is pretty much the same, but only supports Xeon E, i3 8xxx and whatever else Intel sells these days that is just coffee lake.

Yorick

Wizard