Need validation on my first FreeNAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurimas N.

Dabbler
Hard-to-purchase 20ish buck activation code needed...
For IPMI to work I will have to buy additional license?
Also, the CPU you picked has embedded GPU that is not able to be used at all with FreeNAS so you are spending money that you don't need to spend there.
I'm a bit lost, do you mean that FreeNAS will not utilize embedded GPU and I can setup using IPMI?
Kingston? Eh... I guess... But consider Crucial/Micron, Samsung or Hynix from the QVL.
I'm limited to what my local retailer has to offer, and sadly none of the mentioned alternatives are available...

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
No. You will need the license code to update the BIOS through the IPMI web interface.

Inxsible

Guru
I'm a bit lost, do you mean that FreeNAS will not utilize embedded GPU and I can setup using IPMI?
Yes. You can install and set up the whole thing using IPMI. The only thing that you probably won't be able to do via IPMI is update your BIOS, unless you buy a $20 license, which apparently is not easy to purchase for some reason.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Why the **** you looking in your phone while driving??
It is a long commute. What am I going to do, look out the window? I have seen all that a thousand times. I can get to work in my sleep. Home too.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, only for the IPMI BIOS flashing option, which works even without a CPU.

The iGPU isn't used for video output at all. The BMC has a basic video adapter for that purpose.

Aurimas N.

Dabbler
Got the parts, so just to confirm, CPU is working fine without BIOS upgrade, and i3-7300 supports ECC.

Status
Not open for further replies.