First Build List

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeppelin03

Cadet
Hi everyone. I have been reading through the manual as well as the hardware recommendations for a while now. I have assembled a list that I think will be a good fit for my needs. My hope is to run plex as well as a VM in addition to file storage. The parts I am considering are below.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V5
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O
RAM: Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 ECC Unbuffered (CT16G4WFD824A) x2
SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP600 128GB
HHD: WD Red 4 TB x5 RaidZ2
PSU: Seasonic G 550W 80+ Gold
Case: Fractal Node 804

I am not sure if the amount of ram and cpu is overkill for my use case, but I thought it may be good to have something to grow into a bit. A new cooler may be purchased in place of the stock heatsink as well.

Any thoughts on the part list are appreciated. I want to make sure it is all a good match and will run everything without issue.

CraigD

Patron
Nice build, your parts are on point and will work, clearly you have done your homework

I would do a 6-8 wide RAIDz2 (lower price per usable TB)

More CPU and RAM the better, I get by with less, I run PLEX, Sonarr, and Tautulli but no VM

Have Fun

zeppelin03

Cadet
I am glad to hear I am on the right track. I have an older Crucial SSD from a build a few years ago that I considered repurposing for the OS drive. If I can do that I may move up to 6 drives. My only worry is if the SSD has seen enough wear by now.

CraigD

Patron
I am glad to hear I am on the right track. I have an older Crucial SSD from a build a few years ago that I considered repurposing for the OS drive. If I can do that I may move up to 6 drives. My only worry is if the SSD has seen enough wear by now.

Use the SSD be sure to copy the config files onto a location not on your server, if you need to reinstall when the SSD dies it is easy to restore the config files

Have Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.