Cadet
Hi,

I'm not sure if my selction is a goog choice, mainly the motherboard:

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F or X11SSH-TF
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v6
Memory: Samsung RDIMM 16GB, DDR4-2666, CL19-19-19, reg ECC
PSU: Seasonic Focus PX 550W
Case: Fractal Design Node 804

I want at least 6 SATA Ports and the TF board also has a M.2 SATA port for the system drive.

Gr0mit

Cadet
Sorry, hit the send button by accident before the post was finished.

Is this a good build and is the motherboard a good choice or are there better alternatives in a similar price range?

Greeting
Arne

CraigD

Patron
I'm sure the motherboard and RAM are not compatible

Gr0mit

Cadet
OK, then the following one should be OK iI guess?

Samsung DIMM 16GB, DDR4-2400, CL17-17-17, ECC (M391A2K43BB1-CRC)

wl714

Dabbler
There is no mention of your intended usage, thus difficult to comment on detail. I am no expert and these are generally speaking from what I know. 16G RAM is smaller than suggested for a pool which I assume it will be bigger than 8TB with the 6 sata disks you mentioned. The RAM and PCIe slots in the two boards you list are very limited leaving very little expandibility. For example, you might want to go 10GbE network, add decent SLOG and/or L2ARC devices, add SAS or PCIe NVMe controller adapter, etc... they all require PCIe slot. A 4 cores/4 threads CPU is also not a good choice if you will run Virtual Machine(s), for example a linux host that runs docker (which allows you to deploy applications not available as a plugin but available as a docker container). You should read the top thread FreeNAS Hardware Guide for suggestions. The supermicro X10 boards suggested are very good choices and runs Xeon E5 v3/v4 CPUs which you can easily find one that's cheaper but much more powerful than E31220 v6. Generally, the suggestions in the guide are lower cost with better performance and expandibility than your current one.

Dice

Wizard
1. Get at least a E3-1230 CPU, when thinking about PLEX in the context of FreeNAS.
2. Memory, as pointed out by Craig, you need ECC Unbuffered RAM.
3. I like the -TF, as it provides a stupidly fast (assuming it supports NVMe / PCIe) location for a potential future "fun drive" (that could be L2ARC, a fast storage pool for VMs etc).

Gr0mit

Cadet
Thanks fo the replies!

After looking around the whole afternoon I ordered the following components and hope it all fits together ;)

The RAM should fit the borad according Kingston homepage.

Hope the SSD fits but I'm confident as it mentions size 2260.

Case: Fractal Design Node 804
Board: Supermicro X11SSH-TF
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 3,5 GHz
Memory: 2 x 16GB Kingston Server Premier KSM24ED8/16ME DDR4-2400 ECC DIMM CL17
System Disk: 128GB Transcend MTS600 M.2 2260 SATA
HDDs: 6 x Seagate IronWolf NAS 8 TB CMR

I guess for the a home fileserver with Plex (max. 2-3 simultaneous streams) and Nextcloud running on it this should be a fine system for the next few years.