Need validation on my first FreeNAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
RAM
Crucial CT16G4RFD824A 16GB DDR4-2400 RDIMM x1 (planning to add more sticks once price goes down a bit..)
The memory is not compatible. You need ECC UDIMM (unbuffered DIMM).
The model you linked to is ECC RDIMM (registered DIMM).
The computer would not boot with the wrong memory.

This is the proper type of memory for your system:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Tec...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XEKT5HSVSJJSKY0QS30Q

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sorry I didn't notice this at first, I was on my phone and it is hard to look these things up while driving.
The CPU you have selected is a 7th gen but the board supports 6th gen. The processor may not work at all, even with a BIOS update, and if it would work with a BIOS update, you would still need a 6th gen processor in the board to do the update.
Also, the CPU you picked has embedded GPU that is not able to be used at all with FreeNAS so you are spending money that you don't need to spend there.
What were you looking for? What is your usage plan for the system?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
i3-7xxx CPUs do not support ECC. But the i3-6300 is good alternative.

RAM
Crucial CT16G4RFD824A 16GB DDR4-2400 RDIMM x1 (planning to add more sticks once price goes down a bit..)
You need UDIMMs, as mentioned.

A Seasonic unit would be a better choice. You could also go with something smaller - say, 450W, which is good enough for 10 drives.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It's not only hard, but illegal, at least in most countries, and with good reason.
Thankfully, I don't live in one of those third-world holes where technology is made illegal.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I though so too but Intel ARK shows the i3-7300 as supporting ECC.
What? I swear, if I meet an Intel engineer in charge of documentation I will scream obscenities at him for an hour straight...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Kingston? Eh... I guess... But consider Crucial/Micron, Samsung or Hynix from the QVL.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Supermicro mentions support for i3-7xxx CPUs on their product page, but since you'd need the 2.0 BIOS, it's still safer to go with the i3-6300.

Anyone can confirm that i3-7300 supports ECC? Is that a mistake on ARK?

Difficult to say, when the i3-7100 was launched ARK indicated no ECC support, now it also shows EEC support, this would point to an initial mistake now corrected, but who can say for sure?

Inxsible

Guru
I was on my phone and it is hard to look these things up while driving.
Why the fuck you looking in your phone while driving?? ;)

and if it would work with a BIOS update, you would still need a 6th gen processor in the board to do the update.
BIOS update via IPMI, FTW !!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Inxsible

Guru
Hard-to-purchase 20ish buck activation code needed...
Why does Supermicro require an "activation code" and then make it difficult to purchase, I'll never understand.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why does Supermicro require an "activation code" and then make it difficult to purchase, I'll never understand.
Codes tied to serial numbers are intrinsically a pain to acquire. This is just another expression of that fact of life.

Evertb1

Guru
Also, the CPU you picked has embedded GPU that is not able to be used at all with FreeNAS so you are spending money that you don't need to spend there.
What were you looking for? What is your usage plan for the system?
You go for an i3 CPU you get an embedded GPU. As far as I know there is no choise. It is not the same situation as with the Xeon CPU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.