SOLVED Supermicro X10SLM-F no video

tf5bassist

Cadet
Hey all, I've been trying to get this server build to work for literally over a month now, and nothing seems to resolve the issue... Strap in folks, this is gonna' be a doozy.

TL;DR: Multiple boards, CPUs, RAM sets won't provide video over multiple cables, GPUs, and displays. wtf.

Here's the original parts list (not counting drives, HBA, etc):

• Supermicro X10SLM-F
  • Xeon E3-1265LV3 CPU
  • 4x8GB Hynix HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB sticks
  • EVGA 750 GT Supernova PSU
  • Arctic Freezer 34 Duo eSports cooler (supposedly compatible with the integrated backplate)
At first, I figured I'll just do everything over IPMI, as I don't have a native VGA monitor floating around (currently on loan to the inlaws haha). Also bought a new switch for our home office, a TP Link T1600G-18TS. Figured I could see the IPMI and get it on an IP from there.

Original hardware booted up with four quick beeps--one quick, followed by a quicker triplet of beeps, a short pause, then a higher-pitched beep. Here's a video of that behavior:

Couldn't find the IPMI on the switch, the MAC just refused to show up on the list, but the port showed a connection. At this point, I connected the VGA to my regular display with a VGA to Mini DisplayPort connector, but I can't get any signal at all.

The Power LED is solid amber, and the BMC LED is flashing green, both as expected.

Verified that the Enable VGA jumper is enabled.

Yes, the 4-pin CPU is connected lmao.

I've ordered a new VGA to HDMI cable in case my mDP adapter was dead, no change. I've connected both the VGA and discreet GPU to my TV instead of my monitor, no change.

Did the RAM stick shuffle. Removed all sticks, got the loud constant beeping. Swapped RAM sticks individually into each slot, no change. Tried singles, tried pairs, no change.

Installed an old (previously known good) GTX 560ti, still no video.

Performed a BIOS reset, no change.

Connected a rasppi directly to the IPMI and fired up Wireshark, getting absolutely no broadcast from the IPMI. One of the other NICs broadcast something, but no usable connections.

I then saw that maybe this CPU needs a BIOS update to work, so I ordered a G3220 that was supposed to work with all BIOS versions. Swapped that in, no changes whatsoever.

At this point, I also saw some mention that there may be some PSUs that may not work on this board. I dug out an older Cooler Master RS-550-PCAR-E3 PSU and tested this unit on the board, which again saw no change.

Here's where I started thinking the board may be bad. I requested an exchange from the seller, as they guarantee boards. Got the replacement board, but had a huge chunk of the socket pins bent. Whoops. Requested ANOTHER replacement, this time with good pins, and swapped it in with no change.

The same beep pattern occurred for the first few times, but then the beep pattern changed. Here's another example:

Once again did the RAM stick shuffle, to no change. No video out via the built-in VGA or external GPU.

BUT. Now the IPMI MAC shows up on my switch! Still can't access it, but at least it's broadcasting on this new board. Wireshark shows it broadcasting the IP of 107.174.126.206. I switched my rasppi to a static IP of 107.174.126.200 and connected directly to it though, and it won't connect to it at all

I also tried to create a static routing in the switch to route 192.168.0.101 over to that external IP, but couldn't get it to work. I'm really just a networking noob, so, I probably did it wrong. Or it's still just not posting somehow.

At this point, I'm about ready to throw all this shit through the window. I can't think of anything else that I'm missing. My google SERPs are full of purple links that didn't do the trick. Finding this exact behavior has so far been basically impossible.

Does anyone out there have any ideas at all? I'm at my wit's end at this point. Are my PSUs bad? Do I need a specific monitor for some weird reason? Should I order a stock Supermicro cooler? I just don't know anymore.

tf5bassist

Cadet
Oh, guess I can't edit posts while they're awaiting approval, but I also bought another set of RAM sticks after the new new motherboard. These were on the QVL, the Hynix HMT41GU7AFR8A-PB. That's when I got the change in beep patterns after the new mobo and RAM.

tf5bassist

Cadet
... aaaand I just realized I put this in the legacy FreeNAS board. Ugh. Mods, feel free to move as necessary.

tf5bassist

Cadet
jfc... Yep. This board doesn't output a VGA signal that can be adapted to HDMI or mini DisplayPort. Getting a VGA monitor solved the issue.

For the record, both boards, both CPUs, and both sets of RAM work just fine. I'm clearly the bad piece of hardware involved here.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If this is a new board it should be getting an IP address via DHCP by default. Find your DHCP list in your router and use that to connect to the IPMI. The default username and password is ADMIN, ADMIN. You should be able to get into the IPMI interface whether the board is booted up or not. If it has power, the IPMI is available.

BTW the post code in your first video posted is a normal post code.

tf5bassist

Cadet
If this is a new board it should be getting an IP address via DHCP by default. Find your DHCP list in your router and use that to connect to the IPMI. The default username and password is ADMIN, ADMIN. You should be able to get into the IPMI interface whether the board is booted up or not. If it has power, the IPMI is available.

BTW the post code in your first video posted is a normal post code.

Yeah, it wasn't a new board. The IPMI had a 107.x.x.x IP that I sniffed via Wireshark but still couldn't get to it somehow even after manual reconfiguration. Because of that I couldn't get to the BIOS to change anything.

Turned out it was definitely the fact that the VGA output can't be adapted to HDMI or mDP or anything. Board is up and running now, it's just that I needed to ebay a $30 VGA monitor lmao. I even figured out how to get the IPMIview app to run on my Mac despite macOS hating Java these days. TrueNAS is installing now. :D