X10SL7-F-O no video/boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

desmopilot

Dabbler
Hi,

I have a X10SL7-F-O that won't give me video when the power button is pressed. Here's the current situation:

- Using an i3 4170 with a supported 16GB Crucial kit.
- All power LEDs are green (one is flashing green).
- System responds to power button, fans rev up than rev down to a normal speed. Will also power off when power button is held for a few seconds.
- Issue persists with both on-board VGA port and an installed Video Card.
- IPMI port activity lights flash, but my router detects no new ethernet connection.
- Pretty sure I have the appropriate jumper settings, though to be honest they are a little confusing.
- Reset CMOS, no change.

My current theory is the board needs a BIOS update to work with my i3 4170 (ark has the CPU as being released Q1 '15). If that is the case, I believe I would need to hunt down a G3220, G3420 or G3430. Does anyone with experience with this board think that's a reasonable conclusion? All help is very much appreciated, thanks ahead of time!

Last edited:

snaptec

Guru
You get the Same behaviour If you use the wrong RAM.
F.e. Reg ecc ram in an x10 Board that only supports non reg ecc RAM.
Could you try different RAM?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

desmopilot

Dabbler
You get the Same behaviour If you use the wrong RAM.
F.e. Reg ecc ram in an x10 Board that only supports non reg ecc RAM.
Could you try different RAM?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I don't have access to RAM that is on the supported memory list. The Crucial Kit I have is a 16GB Kit suggested by this forum (CT2KIT102472BD160B).

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Your CPU and memory kit check out OK.

What beep pattern does the board produce when you boot it up?

desmopilot

Dabbler

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
There are no beeps.
Good!

You mentioned jumpers... did you change any jumpers? If so, which ones?

As a sanity check, make sure JPG1 (VGA Enable) is set to the default setting (pins 1-2 shorted):

x10sl7-jumpers.jpg

desmopilot

Dabbler
Posting a picture of my current jumper setup. Had a difficult time understanding how 1,2,3 were laid out in the manual.

rxN51P0.jpg

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Posting a picture of my current jumper setup. Had a difficult time understanding how 1,2,3 were laid out in the manual.

rxN51P0.jpg
The user manual displays pin 1 as a black rectangle.
You didn't change any jumpers? It doesn't appear that you changed any of those shown in the photo. JPG1 seems to be set correctly.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
And as a further sanity check... are you using a known-good VGA monitor?

desmopilot

Dabbler
Changed a few jumpers during initial troubleshooting but have sinced moved all back to stock and reset CMOS. Yes, using a known good VGA monitor. Pretty stumped, all I could guess is it needs a BIOS flash to support the CPU.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Changed a few jumpers during initial troubleshooting but have sinced moved all back to stock and reset CMOS. Yes, using a known good VGA monitor. Pretty stumped, all I could guess is it needs a BIOS flash to support the CPU.
You might be right...

Nevertheless, you can still investigate connecting via IPMI: if your router/gateway/whatever is a DHCP server, check it to see if you can determine what IP address it assigned to the IPMI interface. Failing that, you can run a local IP scanner (I recommend the free advanced IP scanner from Famatech) and try to find out what IP address the board is using for IPMI - it may be set up for a static IP address. Whether DHCP-assigned or static, once you determine the IP address, you can try connecting to the system using a web browser or an IPMI client.

I own an X10SL7-F board (see 'my systems' below) and it delivers great service. I'm puzzled that you're having this problem and am curious to determine the cause.

Good luck!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What BIOS version does IPMI report?

desmopilot

Dabbler
Connected it to my router, Advanced IP scanner doesn't see it. Despite activity LEDs on the IPMI port.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Connected it to my router, Advanced IP scanner doesn't see it. Despite activity LEDs on the IPMI port.
What IP range did you scan?

desmopilot

Dabbler
192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
That seems like a likely range... you might try 192.168.0.x

Unfortunately I don't have a clue what the default is for this setting.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas. You can contact Supermicro tech support and see what they have to say; they're generally pretty helpful.

Is this a new board? If so, perhaps you'd better plan to RMA it if the Supermicro techs can't find a solution.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The easiest way is to check your DHCP server's list of DHCP reservations. The MACs for the various NICs are printed on stickers on the board.

Stux

MVP

rxN51P0.jpg
I can't see the pin labels on jpme1, but if pin 1 is on the left like all the other jumper blocks, haven't you got the board in bios reset and manufacturing mode? Ie 2-3 enabled instead of 1-2?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I can't see the pin labels on jpme1, but if pin 1 is on the left like all the other jumper blocks, haven't you got the board in bios reset and manufacturing mode? Ie 2-3 enabled instead of 1-2?
I believe he's got all of the jumpers in the picture set up correctly. The 2 jumpers just below the PCIE slot are JI2C1 and JI2C2 (see table in my previous post), which by default are supposed to have pins 2 & 3 connected - as his are set up. All the others in the photo have pins 1 & 2 connected, again as they're supposed to be by default.

EDIT: relevant jumper area of the mobo, from the manual:

x10sl7-jumpers-graph.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.