X10SL7-F failure?

Stux

MVP
I think I would've already ordered a replacement board at this stage ;)

And with DDR4 prices where they are at the moment, the most sensible thing is just to swap the board for one that works.

southwow

Contributor
@sremme, I'd take @Ericloewe 's advice. Capacitors are fairly easy to change for someone with slightly better soldering skills than I have (that's a joke, I've replaced a few). Still, almost any novice can do it and certainly any electronics shop. The thing to look for is leaking or bulging of the end where the "+" looking seam is. If it's just a bad capacitor, your board will be as good as new for just a few dollars.

Otherwise, I'd just replace it.

sremme

Cadet
Well I was finally been able to get back to my server and the results weren't good. I removed everything except for the cpu and memory and it still wouldn't power up. (LE6 blinks red, and LE3 blinks green, approx every 5 secs). Then I reseated the processor and reset the cmos, same results. Lastly, I checked the caps and didn't see anything obvious, also didn't see any discoloration on any of the chips. So I'm going to assume the motherboard is dead. I contacted SuperMicro about having it repaired but the cost is prohibitive since it's out of warranty.

So to rebuild my server I'm planning on replacing with the same motherboard (~$250 Amazon) since I think that would be the easiest, shortest, cheapest route? Any comments?

While I'm rebuilding I'm thinking of throwing in one of two possible upgrades: 1) Upgrade memory 16GB > 32GB, about $200, 2) Upgrade the processor G3258 > Xeon E3-1240v3 (or 1270v3), $120 on ebay. It's primarily a backup server, but *MAYBE* someday I would also use it as my Plex server. Any thoughts about which upgrade would be the best bang for my $$?

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and help in debugging/rebuilding my server!

Last edited:

sremme

Cadet
I think I would've already ordered a replacement board at this stage ;)

And with DDR4 prices where they are at the moment, the most sensible thing is just to swap the board for one that works.

The X10SL7-F doesn't support DDR4 so I would have to replace more than the motherboard. I think it would be *much* more expensive to replace everything?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think that was the point being made - DDR4 is so expensive that going "oh well, might as well upgrade" is money poorly spent.