Sudden AFP permissions issue after drive failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Anon

Cadet
I have a ZFS pool setup on my server at /mnt/media. It's owned by a user I created (say "foo" for discussion) and setup as an AFP share. Default file/direction permissions are that everyone has read & owner/group have w+x. On my Mac (10.13.2), I login to the share as the user I created. Everything's been fine for a long time.

Recently, I had a drive go bad, replaced it, and everything rebuilt fine. I then used Lightroom to import some images to a folder on it, and everything was fine.

However, I wanted to make a new folder at the root level of the share. When I tried to do it in the Finder, Finder pulls up an authentication box and says it wants permission to make the folder. I tried giving it admin to my Mac and using the various logins for my FreeNAS box, but it'd never authenticate to create the folder. I was able to make it using the terminal on my FreeNAS box. Then, when I tried to copy a few files to the folder, one copied just fine but another again started insisting on needing permission to copy over.

I used Disk Utility to check that my local permissions was OK, and everything was fine.

Does anyone have any clue why this suddenly started happening and thoughts on how to fix it? I couldn't find anything in the archives here. Thanks!

Josh Anon

Cadet
Nope. Still happening. I also noticed that the one file I was able to copy seems to be a fluke. Now I can't create any files or copy any files (Lightroom imports also now fail). Tried checking permissions everywhere I could think of, making sure the pool/OS is up-to-date, and more.

D

dlavigne

Which build version of FreeNAS (System -> Information)? Anything in /var/log/messages when a copy fails?

Josh Anon

Cadet
FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1)

There's nothing in the log file. Finder just prompts me to authenticate.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Have you tried reseting the permission of the dataset through the FreeNAS GUI? Also you can confirm what the permission are by going into terminal, SSHing in, and then doing a "ls -la" on the directory in question to see what the permissions are.

Josh Anon

Cadet
The permissions look correct. I have a user guest in the group mediausers. That user/group have rwx access to the files, and the files are owned by that user. If I click "change permissions" on the mount, I see that the owner is guest, the group is mediauser, and the mode's all set correctly (user/group have rwx and other has rx). It's set to Unix permissions. I did try choosing set permission recursively and running this, but it made no difference.

Is there somewhere else to look to reset the permissions?

nojohnny101

Wizard
If everything looks correct, and you tried recursively applying the desired permission through the GUI, your only other option would be to create a new dataset, move all your data, and see if that fixes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.