SOLVED Stuck in boot screen - 11.2 RC2

Status
Not open for further replies.

awesomer

Dabbler
I have been running 11.2-RC2 since it came recently, upgraded from 11.1-U6.

While uploading data to my disk, transfers stopped, and I was not able to contact the server. Coming back 30 minutes later, it's still not responding, so I restated it with the power button. Still no luck, server is not coming back.

Connected a monitor and keyboard, tried to boot old boot environment, no luck.

Stuck in this screen it seems, anything I can try to debug this?

photo_2018-11-25_23-22-14.jpg

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It doesn't seem to be making it past the bootloader. Do you happen to have serial console access to the server? If so, please check that there isn't more output there.

Also try to connect to it via the webGUI and SSH after a while, it might just be a local console problem.

awesomer

Dabbler
Thanks for the suggestions! This is just an older PC set up for FreeNAS, normally running headless, don't think serial console is possible there? No response from SSH or WebGUI, even after hours waiting.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What motherboard is this?

awesomer

Dabbler
Should have included some HW info,
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
With a 120GB SSD as boot drive
2x6TB Red and 2x3TB Red/Green
24GB Non ECC RAM + i5 2500k CPU

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can try booting from BIOS CSM instead of UEFI.

I am having the same issue and I need help! I am trying to install this on a Thecus N16000PRO. Ussing a 128GB SSD as a bootable disk. I tried the UEFI option and it is doing the same thing as the picture above.. except it looks super glitchy... I retried the installation as a BIOS and it chooses the Legacy boot over my BIOS boot. It boots up Thecus OS. I need help!! First timer and this is for work... I would appreciate the Layman's terms lol.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am having the same issue and I need help! I am trying to install this on a Thecus N16000PRO. Ussing a 128GB SSD as a bootable disk. I tried the UEFI option and it is doing the same thing as the picture above.. except it looks super glitchy... I retried the installation as a BIOS and it chooses the Legacy boot over my BIOS boot. It boots up Thecus OS. I need help!! First timer and this is for work... I would appreciate the Layman's terms lol.
You have a boot priority issue. Get rid of everything that is not the FreeNAS boot device.

You have a boot priority issue. Get rid of everything that is not the FreeNAS boot device.
Would you recommend to completely remove the DOMs? I turned off the Legacy boot and when it boots up, it asks me what Drive I would like to boot from. I choose the SSD that I installed FreeNas on and it does not do anything.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why would you have a boot device for anything else present in the system?

vbonline

Dabbler
Same problem here (stuck in boot-screen)...

MB: Asus P8H67-M EVO
24GB NON-ECC RAM
X520-DA1
6*2TB Raidz2
2*SANDISK 32GB Boot

Oh, selecting 11.U6 in the boot loader doesn't help, so I'm stuck...

I finally was able to get it. I disconnected my SSD and plugged in 2 2.0 USB Drives. Ran the installation all over, choosing BIOS instead of UEFI and restarted and is up and running now! YES!

awesomer

Dabbler
I don't seem to be able to enable BIOS CSM. But I'm able to set my boot devices to boot from the SSD set as "SATA" insted of "UEFI", it is then not possible to boot at all.
Still no closer to getting it running.

awesomer

Dabbler
I got it working...by updating the BIOS...
This is an old motherboard. I had a BIOS from 2012, but that was the latest for years. There was no option for "legacy mode" in the BIOS for some reason. I checked the Gigabyte site, and it had a newer BIOS from 2017. Flashed that new BIOS, and now it works. Not using legacy mode, just the same settings as before.

Also, one of my disks is not showing anymore, and the pool is in DEGRADED status. Hope it's not broken, and just a connection problem :/

Status
Not open for further replies.