SOLVED Stuck during initial setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
Hello,

I'm trying to install FreeNAS on a USB stick from a USB stick. I boot just fine, but then the setup hangs at the console screen. It's completely unresponsive. I tried a 9.3 stable and the current 9.10 on the USB stick.

This is the screen I'm stuck at.

My motherboard is a Supermicro Motherboard MBD-X10SRL-F with a Xeon E5-2603 v4 CPU. The BIOS is up to date. I have one LSI 9240-8i installed.

m0nkey_

MVP
Are you sure it hung? Have you tried a different keyboard? I had a wireless keyboard that never worked during a Linux or BSD installation, but operated just fine once up and running.

melloa

Wizard
Are you sure it hung? Have you tried a different keyboard? I had a wireless keyboard that never worked during a Linux or BSD installation, but operated just fine once up and running.

Same here and also with my KVM. had to go with keyboard connected to the box to be able to navigate the installation ...

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
Turned out to be exactly the problem. Guess I need to use simple keyboards (trip to the shops should fix that).

Any idea why? The console setup even recognizes the device and its name when plugged/unplugged and displays a notification of that.

m0nkey_

MVP
I believe it's a case of the installation kernel doesn't contain the required module to function correctly.

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
Sounds about right. I used a piece of **** keyboard I found at a local electrician's for the equivalent of $10 in local currency, and it works. Guess enterprise solutions just have to have that fix of old hardware plopped on a crash cart in the bowls of data centers.

Cheers though. You saved me a ton more troubleshooting!

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Another way to have done it would have been through the IPMI KVM (See Uncle Fester's Guide, link in my sig, for information on that if you aren't familiar with it). But glad you got it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.