Stuck at Intel Rapid Storage SATA Option ROM during boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaspetaahl

Explorer
Hi,
so I installed my disks today ( 5 x WD RED 8TB/ 4 of them from WD MyBooks ). And wanted to boot FreeNAS. Previously booting worked but now I am stuck at the Intel Rapid Storage Technology SATA Option ROM Screen. I cant even go to the BIOS. If I press DEL during start I display "entering Setup" but then also the Intel screen.
The screen shows 3 of my drives (why??) And tells me to press CTRL-I to enter Configuration Utility but that doesnt work either. Not over IPMI and also not directly via USB-Keyboard.
Also FreeNAS didnt boot from the internal USB port on my mainboard if anyone has any tips on that issue.

Serverboard Supermicro X10SLL-F
Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 3,40GHz Turbo 3,80GHz
2 x HMT41GU7AFR8C-PB

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's a new one. You might want to start by clearing the BIOS settings. Remove the battery for a minute or so and bridge the reset pads on the board.

Gaspetaahl

Explorer
Hey,
thanks for your reply. Now Im stuck at this screen:
sp.jpg

The POST Code means: IDE Detect
Which kind of seems like the same problem. Is there something wrong with the HDDs?
Also I still cant get to the BIOS

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Try unplugging all disks. If that will allow you to enter the BIOS, disable the fakeRAID (Rapid Storage Technology) option ROM and try the disks again. In fact, disable everything you don't need to boot (PXE option ROMs, RST option ROM, any devices other than your boot device, etc.)

Gaspetaahl

Explorer
Unpluggin all WD MyBook disks works and freenas boots just fine.
I tried disabling the Intel RAID but I am certain that I used the wrong BIOS option. When it boots it still shows me the Intel RAID screen for half a second.
In the BIOS I diabled the Option Advanced -> SATA -> SATA RAID Option ROM/UEFI Driver. Where is the right option?
Booting with the drives installed still didnt work.

So I got a Molex to SATA Adapter today and tried that (like shown in the video). I really thought that this would work because the Adapter only has 4 power cables instead of 5 which my old power cable had. But still it only display A2 POST Message.

Edit: Setting SATA Mode to IDE gives A3 (IDE Enable) so its one step further.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Gaspetaahl

Explorer
So I updated my BIOS today (not sure if the newest was already installed). This didnt work at first either. Then I booted without the MyBook drives and when freenas was started I plugged the drives in and it worked. I then rebooted the system and I posted and booted just fine.
I guess thats it for now. Thank you very much for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.