USB Keyboard Stops Working During Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel_Korg

Dabbler
I'm new to FreeNAS and to Unix.

I built a machine with the following motherboard:

MSI H97 Motherboard - Intel LGA1150 Socket, Intel H97 Express Chipset, Micro ATX - H97M-E35

Put FreeNAS on a bootable CD-ROM, and booted up from it.

After seeing LOTS of errors on the boot sequence,

I get to this screen:

install2.png

And my USB keyboard stops working.

Any ideas here?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Maybe try one of the black (USB 2.0) ports instead of the blue (USB 3.0) ports?
And read this post first.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Is the Flash Drive in a blue (USB 3.0) port as well?
Use the black port (USB 2.0) for the flash drive too!
Did you read the post I gave you the link to?????

Colonel_Korg

Dabbler
Yes, i read that before I ordered any of the hardware. LOL

yes, I have tried both black and blue ports for the flash drive. I have a smaller drive arriving tomorrow (8gb.) and will see if that work.

With this many issues so early in the install process, I'm sorely tempted to just install windows 7 and be done with it.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Are you seeing the flash drive listed when you reach this point of the install?
Section 2.4 of the manual may be of some help to you (installation trouble shooting)

Last edited:

Colonel_Korg

Dabbler
Yes, I am. I select it with the space bar and that screen shot is what appears a few seconds later when halts.

gpsguy

You might want to use Active@ KillDisk - http://how-to-erase-hard-drive.com/ to wipe the flash drive and try again.

How much RAM do you have in the server?

You might also try doing the install to flash drive in another computer and once you know that you can boot from the flash drive in that machine, move the flash drive to the server.

Colonel_Korg

Dabbler
System is a dual core Intel Celeron 3.4ghz, 8gb DDR3 RAM, 4 x 1GB WD HD's (SATA3).

Thumb drive is a PNY 16gb "nub" USB drive (doesn't stick out 2" just 1/4" and looks just like a Logitech wireless mouse receiver unit)

Plan is to make the four 1.0TB WD drives into a RAID-Z array. (just shy of 3TB available when RAIDed)

Thanks for any ideas here.

Paul

gpsguy

Colonel_Korg

Dabbler
Mirrored flash drives is fine and all well and good but it still requires that I can get it to install the OS to the drive.

At the moment, it errors out when trying to write to the USB drive.

gpsguy

Since you said your flash drive was "toast", I provided a thread with suggestions for replacements. *I* don't consider PNY to be a quality brand.

Colonel_Korg

Dabbler
I have used PNY in the past for various things, RAM, thumb drives and never had a problem with them before.

As for this drive, window's sees it as an unknown device.

I have a feeling this drive may have been damaged when plugging/unplugging it to try and solve the keyboard issue (solved).

I will exchange it tomorrow and try again.

gpsguy

Given that you originally said you'd seen a lot of errors before getting to the install screen, perhaps you have a bad download.

Did you verify the download against the checksum file? If not, see section 2.1 of the manual.

After seeing LOTS of errors on the boot sequence,

Do you have another machine that you could use to install FreeNAS onto the flash drive.

Colonel_Korg

Dabbler
I saw on other posts how many people are having problems with the install of 9.3, so I dropped back to previous version (9.2.x from november 2014)

burned a cd and it "installed" to the kingston USB drive, but on re-boot (without CD) it only got this far...

2015-02-16_21-31-13_981.jpg

I am clueless on Unix commands and why it stopped.

Is the kingston 16gb USB drive "not recommended" or some such nonsense?

Colonel_Korg

Dabbler
I am now giving up on freeNAS and buying an additional HD to install Window 7 x64 on and use its built in RAID.

At least that works without issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.