Hardware issue with IBM X3650 m3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyL

Cadet
Hi Guys:

First post ever (so be nice). I am not a hardcore hw/sw guy. I am just enjoying trying to put together a home based server system with freenas as my storage pool.

The issue. I purchased an IBM x3650 m3 off ebay (2x x5660 with 48 gigs of dd3 1333 and no hd's - cheap too!!!). Having read up on the forums, i understood that the M5015 it came with would not be ideal. So in addition, i purchased a m1015 card off ebay. When that arrived, i uninstalled the m5015 and installed the m1015. To make sure everything worked, i installed a single intel S3500 ssd to test and will use as the hd that will hold the freenas/bsd os and programs. Everything booted up fine and into the IBM bios first. no issues. everything looked good and all the hardware was show. Just as a precaution i ran the memory tests - no issue - yay!!!. Then i went into the m1015 setup utility. it saw the drive and i created a virtual disk with no problems.

Where the problems started was when i downloaded the sas2008 files to create a bootable usb in order to flash the m1015 to it mode. No issues creating the usb. however, the x3650 would not give me an option in the bootlist to boot from usb. there were 1 time options to boot from usb, but those failed to actually to actually begin the boot from the USB. they asked to either go to the controller or uefi bios.

I spent a few hours trying to find out why. There are only old posts about previous versions of the IBM x3650 (m1/m2) having to enable USB in the bios before being able to select usb boot order. i thoroughly went through the m3 bios and that option is not even available (i believe its totally auto now in m3 version). So not wanting to waste any further time (and noting the x3650 came with a dvd), i simply created a boot dvd with the same files.

That booted nicely, i am thinking great. However, the usb keyboard does not work when booting to dos from the dvd. I reboot, this time watching the boot sequence, and i notice that there are no issues, even seeing a notification in the boot process that legacy usb was enabled with no issues. Still usb keyboard did not work.

If you guys have any ideas on why my usb keyboard is not working, i would appreciate it.

Is it possible i need to create a boot dos dvd from another source to make sure that usb is enabled for keyboard use? I used to play with Dos back in the 80's, but that was 30 years ago so my knowledge is totally lacking and i am not a linux guy at all.

Any and all assistance greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

JeffreyL

Artion

Patron
Do you have a PS/2 keyboard? Maybe the bootable firmware utility does not have usb keyboard support.
Sorry, I noticed that it does not have PS/2 ports. If the utility uses DOS you can search for a bootable DOS image with USB support and put the utility in it and see if it works. (one can be this. or this or this )

PS: There are also bootloaders that let you boot from a CD/DVD and then from it boot from USB keys. But in your case you need more USB support in the boot environment of the firmware utility.

IBM%20System%20x3650%20M3.jpg

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
Try a different keyboard if you have a few.

Some work with old bioses, others don't.

JeffreyL

Cadet
Thanks guys. Will try both.

I will note Stux that when i went into the bios direct from boot and the M5015 and later M1015 setup utils, both the keyboard and the mouse worked just fine. It was only when booting to the DVD to boot into dos to try to run the flash to IT mode for the M1015 that i had issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.