FreeNAS on a IBM X3650 M3 and M1015

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoothRunnings

Dabbler
Question, has anyone experienced installing FreeNAS on an IBM x3650 M3 fully updated with flashed M1015 controllers? I heard there are two ways to do this, one is using a VM version of FreeNAS and other is to install FreeNAS directly on the machine. I would like to avoid installing VMWare again and using FreeNAS is more like an attached SAN system of it possible.

Thanks,

danb35

Hall of Famer
I heard there are two ways to do this, one is using a VM version of FreeNAS and other is to install FreeNAS directly on the machine.
Running FreeNAS in a VM is strongly discouraged unless you know exactly what you're doing, or you're just testing stuff out. Go for bare metal for production. Don't otherwise have input on using that particular server, but I'd expect it would work fine.

SmoothRunnings

Dabbler
With respect to the M1015's I guess the IT mode on the card doesn't allow you nor or it is required to RAID the drives?

Thanks,

Running FreeNAS in a VM is strongly discouraged unless you know exactly what you're doing, or you're just testing stuff out. Go for bare metal for production. Don't otherwise have input on using that particular server, but I'd expect it would work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.