Stuck at 100Mb connection

Theunique

Cadet
i have just build my freenas system over asus m4a785td-v evo motherboard . Problem is i can not get gigabit connetion on my router ( tp-link TL-SG1008D)
i am sure about my network settings and cables . other devices are connecting as expected bu not this system. Help me out with that one please

Attachments

• P_500.jpg
    P_500.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 542

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
First, one small correction: the tp-link TL-SG1008D is a switch not a router though they do perform very similar functions.

I looked at the specs for your motherboard and yes it should be capable of gigabit ethernet. I checked for issues with a FreeBSD driver, there had been some troubles back in 2012 but I'm sure those have been solved, and if you have any connectivity then the driver does function. I believe the driver would be re(4).

Two thoughts which may not have any consequence but make me wonder. The 'eco/green' reduced power stuff, whether it may ever cause issues. And, have you tested your bandwidth with ONLY the new FreeNAS box and one other destination device? Finally, you said you are sure of your cables and network settings, but I might scrutinize each connector and port to be sure nothing is slightly out of alignment.

Networking tends to be esoteric, ersatz, random, vindictive, or capricious, or any combination, especially when you have to suffer connectivity providers who are rather imperfect and their hardware (which you cannot hardly control). I prefer hardware that does less and requires little or no software but if it needs software and can do more I want it to be something I can control such as an open source solution.

I hope you discover the solution to your difficulty and wish you success.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
A bad cable is very often likely to show up as a 100Mbps connection. On gigabit, all four pairs are used bidirectionally. With 10/100, only two pairs are used. Most cable flaws that impact one of the pairs NOT used by 10/100 cause ethernet chipsets to detect a 10/100 link.

kdragon75

Wizard
As others have said, check the cables and when you get it working and are still not happy with performance, consider an Intel/broadcom based network card as they are far better supported in FreeBSD.

Theunique

Cadet
thanks to you all for the rapid responce and great advices. but i am sure about my cable. all of my other gigabit capable devices are running flawlessly on the same router on all ports. But when i replace this system with one of them problem occurs (sorry for my english if made a mistake)
on this pic below you can see my desktop computer connects at 1GB by the very same cable on the same port
1.JPG

Theunique

Cadet
great news! :) i have updated my bios and it worked.
I've already looked for the bios update but it says nothing about ethernet issues.
(M4A785TD-V EVO BIOS 2105
Fix the issue that system may be unable to boot from SATA ODD, when onboard RAID is enabled.)
thanks for all your supports

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 522