New modem and router - can't find FreeNAS or IPMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladTepes

Patron
I have replaced a failing fritzbox (modem/router) with a basic TP-link modem-router (we'll call this "modem") which is then connected to a fancy TP-Link router (we'll call this "router".)

After some fiddling I have got the modem to work, and the router to work. The router Wi-Fi works fine. My main windows system - plugged directly into one of the routers LAN ports - is identifed and works as expected.

I have the Supermicro main LAN port plugged into a router LAN port.
I also have the Supermicro IPMI port plugged into a router LAN port.

The router does not recognise either device. I'd have thought it should recognise ANY device attached to it?

For comparison

FreeNAS
assigned IPs from 192.168.178.1

TP-Link router
assigns IP's from 192.168.0.100

subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

The IP of the Freenas is/was I think set from the console (shell).

1. Is there any obvious reason the router wouldn't detect the FreeNAS / IPMI
2. Fix?
3. How can I set static IP for the FreenNAS (can't find the instructions for this in the documentation)

Thank you all :)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You won't be able to see them unless they are in the same subnet. Change your subnet in your router to match your previous network configuration or change the IP address of FreeNAS to match your current subnet.

VladTepes

Patron
OK I'll do that.
The best way to set a (static) IP for the FreeNas is via the console yes? (as opposed to the router).

Can you point me at the instructions for that or is it just a matter of hooking up a KB and monitor to the FreeNAS and selecting an option from a list?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
OK I'll do that.
The best way to set a (static) IP for the FreeNas is via the console yes? (as opposed to the router).

Can you point me at the instructions for that or is it just a matter of hooking up a KB and monitor to the FreeNAS and selecting an option from a list?
You have a Supermicro board that has IPMI, but it depends on if the IPMI interface has a DHCP address or a static one. If you can find your IPMI address and remote in, then you don't need a monitor. I would have thought the easy answer was to change the range of addressees the router is issuing for DHCP.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

VladTepes

Patron
It might have been easier before I assigned a fixed IP for my existing computer. Not 100%sure of what the old one was but I THINKI I got it right above.

Status
Not open for further replies.