FTP - "GnuTLS error -110: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
Yet again i have more issues with FTP this time im getting this error code chugged out by FileZilla

Code:
Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command:	PWD
Response:	257 "/" is the current directory
Command:	TYPE I
Response:	200 Type set to I
Command:	PASV
Response:	227 Entering Passive Mode (86,140,66,195,19,167).
Command:	MLSD
Error:	GnuTLS error -110: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
Error:	Transfer connection interrupted: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted
Error:	Directory listing aborted by user

Here is what comes up in the freenas console

Code:
Jan 19 00:12:22 freenas proftpd[14987]: localhost (192.168.2.137[192.168.2.137]) - SECURITY VIOLATION: Passive connection from [IP REMOVED]rejected.

I had FTP working fine just earlier on in the day and now all of a sudden its broke again

Router - ASUS RT-AC66u
Modem - TP-Link TD8817

I have already got the FTP ports set up for Passive and they work, its just TLS Seems to be failing for an unknown reason.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks guys

EDIT - Ok right now this is getting wierd, i just tried it again with the exact same settings as when it was chucking out errors and it worked absolutely fine, Eh? What is this? Bloody magic? Any insight as to what the actual hell freenas is doing would be great

D

dlavigne

Any insight as to what the actual hell freenas is doing would be great

Rather, what proftpd is doing. Try searching for that error and proftpd.

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
I haven't found anything of any great help online, just a long forum conversation on the filezilla forums about how it's to do with updates but this forum post was in 2008 so I can't imagine it's the same issue anymore. Moreover I get the same issue on online FTP testers so it must be proftpd causing the issue not filezilla. That's about as far as I have gotten.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
I the tried without TLS

Code:
Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command:	PWD
Response:	257 "/" is the current directory
Command:	TYPE I
Response:	200 Type set to I
Command:	PASV
Response:	227 Entering Passive Mode (86,140,66,195,20,17).
Command:	MLSD
Error:	Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:	Failed to retrieve directory listing

So TLS isnt causing this, i assume.

I am also finding that proftpd doesnt close properly, i turn off the service and it just hangs, same with changing settings it just hangs. Then im unable to start the service again for a few minutes while it thinks its still on

Interestingly when i just disabled Masquerade address and kept TLS enabled it seemed to work, maybe this is the root of the issue?

Context - I had my masquerade address set to my DDNS IP xxxx.ddns.net, in the hopes that would avoid NAT issues.

EDIT - Just did some more tests, I added the Masquerade back in and its still working, none of this makes sense.

EDIT 2 - Woke up this morning and tried it again with the masquerade enabled and it didnt work, chucked the same error, i removed the address then it worked fine no problem, then i re-added the address after it hadnt worked and its fine again. Once again i have no idea?

Here are my settings (Minus the masqerade address)

1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG

Sorry for the way ive put the settings, i know some people just give the config files contents but i have f*** all clue how to do that ahahah. Hope you can make something of what i have here so far

Thanks

Last edited:

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
Come to think of it a bit more would a snapshot task, scrub task or SMART test effect this in any way? I wouldn't have thought so myself but I wouldn't know ahaha

Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.