Large FTP file upload fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myopia

Dabbler
Hello All,

I need help to set up the nessecairy things to be able to upload files to my Freenas server.

When I upload a small file, it goes well. But when I upload a large file, like 1GB it doesn't upload the file in total.

FreeNAS version: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950
Hardware:
System: HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1610T @ 2.30GHz
RAM Size: 12099MB
Hard Drives: 3x3GB WD Red RaidZ

Code:
Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command:    CWD /map
Response:    250 CWD command successful
Command:    PWD
Response:    257 "/map" is the current directory
Command:    TYPE I
Response:    200 Type set to I
Command:    PASV
Response:    227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,128,178,205).
Command:    STOR filename.ext
Response:    150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for filename.ext
Error:    Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:    File transfer failed after transferring 575.668.224 bytes in 33 seconds
Command:    TYPE I
Response:    200 Type set to I
Response:    227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,128,60,50).
Command:    MLSD
Response:    150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for MLSD
Response:    226 Transfer complete
Response:    227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,128,142,110).
Command:    REST 575409108
Response:    350 Restarting at 575409108. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer
Command:    STOR filename.ext
Response:    451 filename.ext: Append/Restart not permitted, try again
Error:    File transfer failed

What to do?

Myopia

Dabbler
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# ifconfig                                                                                                         
bge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                         
        options=c019b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>                                 
        ether 3c:a8:2a:a0:da:90                                                                                                    
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>                                                                                       
        media: Ethernet autoselect (none)                                                                                          
        status: no carrier                                                                                                         
bge1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                         
        options=c019b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>                                 
        ether 3c:a8:2a:a0:da:91                                                                                                    
        inet 192.168.1.128 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255                                                              
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)                                                                       
        status: active                                                                                                             
ipfw0: flags=8801<UP,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 65536                                                                         
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384                                                                  
        options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>                                                                      
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128                                                                                                    
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7                                                                                 
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000                                                                                          
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>  

D

dlavigne

That looks good. I'm assuming the FTP server is on the same subnet? Is there any firewall/router/some_other_device in the network that could be slowing down the packets? Also, what's the OS and version on the FTP client?

Myopia

Dabbler
The FTP server is on the same subnet.
The client: Windows 10 + Filezilla 3.14

D

dlavigne

Do you have the same issue if you try a different FTP client (other than Filezilla)?

Myopia

Dabbler
With other clients I get the same error: Timeout.

FTPing should be very easy, I'm confused and desperate. What could be wrong?

gpsguy

Do you have another machine you can try it from?

Sent from my phone

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Myopia

Dabbler
I have tested it with a Windows 7 machine and WinSCP FTP client, still the same issue.
When I upload via FTP to my Windows Server, there are no problems. So it must be a Freenas related issue/configuration. But I'm new to Freenas.

Myopia

Dabbler
I'm happy to report that I've finally made it to be working! The only thing that was missing, was the home directory within the user setting. Apparently without the setting it won't work properly, for small files it works well, but for large files it doesn't.

Myopia

Dabbler
I now have a new issue with permissions:
What did I do:
-Create new Dataset datasetname\media
-Set owner group to admin
-Create user media and set home directory to datasetname\media
-FTP settings > home directory to datasetname
Now I connect via FTP with user media and I see the directory listening, but I cant create files or directories: Response: 550 test: Operation not permitted.

What is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.