Strange Motherboard Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisT

Patron
My IT experience is mainly in networking, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have seen a trend over 5 or 6 years now that every so often (2-3 times now), I'll have a unrecoverable system failure. What seems to happen is that a machine will hang (it happens) and will not shut down gracefully. When I force a restart, the system will not boot up/post. This isn't OS or system specific, and what I typically do is piece something together to fill the void until I can build a new upgraded system. Because I don't have many "like" parts for these failed systems, my troubleshooting efforts have turned up empty in all cases.

Most recently, I had a VMWare server running on a C2550D4I board. System hung, rebooted, everything powered up but nothing ever showed on-screen. Networking never came on-line. Tried different variations of RAM sticks and slots. Tried different power supply. Removed CMOS battery/reset CMOS. I could not get the system to post. I don't have any RAM compatible with this board other than what was in it at the time it was working.

Funny thing is this isn't the first time I've had almost the exact same scenario happen. I'm curious if this is likely related to a power conditioning problem, and if so the best way to fix it. I'm guilty of not running anything more than a "power strip", although it is one with surge protection. Nothing fancy.

My bin of otherwise-decent parts is beginning to fill up! Thoughts?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Can you access the BIOS?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That'd be an unusually large amount of bad luck to have. What kind of power supplies are you using? Are they properly sized? Good quality? It'd not be too unusual to see a trashed/corrupted OS if you weren't using protected power and something bad happened, but that's generally not a hardware-killing event, just a data-killing one.

philhu

Patron
How 'bout a cheap ups?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Every cheap UPS out there feeds through utility power unless there's a line disturbance, so some of the system-killing stuff like spikes tend to still make it through to the PSU.

philhu

Patron
oh, i was lucky, when my company closed, I grabbed 2 3U apc server smartups systems. They clean power too

TravisT

Patron
Can you access the BIOS?

Nope. Not on the C2550 at least. I think one of the others I've had similar problems with was a socket 939, so my memory may be a little hazy!

Everything comes on, but I can't get any video output or access the management platform via IP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You have to toast these things pretty well to fry both the IPMI/BMC and the host system. Does the IPMI light blink at all?

TravisT

Patron
I think so, but I would have to double check. Strange thing (to me at least) is that it was running until I restarted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.