Dead supermicro mobo? How to confirm?

VladTepes

Patron
The PSU in my system went BANG! Smoke and everything - very dramatic.
I sourced a new PSU and the system is still non-operational.

System is: Supermicro X11SSL-F with Intel Core i3-6100, 2*16Gb Samsung ECC DDR4 2133MHz

When system is plugged in and PSU turned on the BMC Heartbeat LED on the mobo is blinking, so the BMC is functioning normally.
But when I use the case power switch (have also tried bridging posts in case button faulty) I get nothing - no post, no fans, no drives spinning up. Nothing.

The manual troubleshooting section states
System Boot Failure If the system does not display POST (Power-On-Self-Test) or does not respond after the power is turned on, check the following:
1. Check for any error beep from the motherboard speaker.
• If there is no error beep, try to turn on the system without DIMM modules installed.
• If there is still no error beep, replace the motherboard.
• If there are error beeps, clear the CMOS settings by unplugging the power cord and contacting both pads on the CMOS Clear Jumper (JBT1).

2. Remove all components from the motherboard, especially the DIMM modules. Make sure that system power is on and that memory error beeps are activated. 3. Turn on the system with only one DIMM module installed. If the system boots, check for bad DIMM modules or slots by following the Memory Errors Troubleshooting procedure in this Chapter.

Assuming the onboard speaker is working - I'm getting no beeps with or without the RAM installed.
The blunt response to this is per the above is - replace the motherboard.

BUT surely if the mobo was ok but cpu cactus the same thing would happen?
(of course I don't have a spare cpu to test that either)
Are i3 LGA1151 cpu's still even available?

I'd rather avoid replacing the mobo unless I can be absolutely sure that's the problem.

I really don't know what to do at this point. Advice welcome.

Pitfrr

Wizard
Oh that's quite unfortunate, power supply failure can indeed sometimes lead to disastrous results. :-O
And it could any of these three components:
  • Mainboard
  • CPU
  • RAM
    • For the RAM, you should get some error bips though.... but I'm not 100% sure

I don't see any other way than testing them separately. If you don't have the HW, you could maybe ask a local repair store to test the parts?

the BMC Heartbeat LED on the mobo is blinking, so the BMC is functioning normally.
Did you access the BMC to make sure it was working normally?
Maybe there you can get more information on what's going on, in the logs or on the dashboard?

VladTepes

Patron
Well I have no idea what BMC is, does or how to access it so.. no :) I'd assume you'd need to have the system up and running...

Ids it possible for a computer store to test the parts - surely they'd need the whole system and swap out bits etc?

Davvo

MVP
Well I have no idea what BMC is, does or how to access it so.. no :) I'd assume you'd need to have the system up and running...
IPMI.
You just need the cable connected to the right port (in your case the one near the COM-1 port, over two USB ports) and a working PSU.
Also, condolences for your PSU's capacitor popping.

Last edited:

VladTepes

Patron
And once i have that connected do what please?

I have sourced a spare CPU (same one) so when that arrives I will swap it out and see if perhaps the problem lies there.
If that doesn't work then all that's left is the board.

(I think its VERY unlikely to be the RAM especially both sticks thereof)

Redcoat

MVP
Here's the IPMI users guide.

Attachments

• IPMI_Users_Guide.pdf
    27.3 MB · Views: 169

VladTepes

Patron
Thank you mate.

Apollo

Wizard
You can't tell in a post what damage if any would arise from a failing PSU.
With a smoking PSU, you shouldn't expect the output voltage to be in spec and it is most likely the motherboard and anything connected to the PSU may have sustain significant damage. There are certain level of protection on the motherboard and other peripherals that could provide protection against catastrophic failure, such as fuses and could have blown (ie HDD) which would render the HDD inoperable.
Replacing the fuse should take care of it, but without the proper tools and the right know-how, will make repairs impossible.

A visual inspection of the various piece of hardware is required ( you need to have some know-how in you to spot non obvious conditions). Blown caps, burned out traces, cracked components are usually a good indication of a broken circuit. Burned smell is also a good indicatino of a failure.