Noob in need of help diagnosing X10SL7-F beep code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all I should preface this by saying that my knowledge of home servers and their associated software is very limited but for various reason, a couple of weeks ago was the right time to buy so I already have everything bought and assembled (aside from the HDD's). My hardware is as follows-

CPU - E3 1220v3
MOBO - X10SL7-F
RAM - 2x8GB Crucial 1.35v (CT4484984)
PSU - SeaSonic SS-660XP2
SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB

Before I go any further, the beep in question is either 4 quick + 1 slightly slower beep or 2 quick + 2 quick + 1 slightly slower beep... it's really hard to tell.

The issue I'm having is when the computer is cold booted I get a beep code that's proving hard to track down. It beeps so quickly that I have to tap out the rhythm on my desk to discern what the sequence is (I could upload a video if need be). At first I thought it might be an issue with the RAM so I tried a few configurations in the limited time I had (forgive the lack of methodology). Here are the results of my testing.

No RAM at all = 5 short + 1 long.... note that this were distinct, easily discernible beeps.
1st DIMM in slot A1 = 4 very quick beeps + 1 beep.
1st DIMM in slot B1 = 4 very quick beeps + 1 beep.
2nd DIMM in slot A1 = 4 very quick beeps + 1 beep.
2nd DIMM in slot B1 = 4 very quick beeps + 1 beep.
DIMM's in slots B1 and B2 = 4 very quick beeps + 1 beep.

I've done ten full round robin Memtest86 (V5.0) passes and had no errors at all. The computer boots every time* and I have yet to have any discernible issues. Would this indicate and issue with the mobo or could it still be an issue with the RAM? Are there any other tests I can perform?

* I had an issue with my crappy old SSD not being detected. Now that I've replaced it with an MX100, the issue appears to have been solved.

2 short Memory parity error A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad

4 short System timer failure The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The short answer is that this is a Freenas forum and you are having a motherboard/memory
problem. Your chances are better seeking help with the hardware forums.
Is the memory you are trying to use on the tested list of the vendor?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Those beeps (and the pattern) will tell you what is wrong. Unfortunately you'll have to look at Supermicro for support at this point. Since this isn't a FreeNAS problem I'm going to move this to offtopic.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
For the record, I get a veritible symphony of beeps from my X10SLM+-F with the low voltage RAM.

I have no idea what's wrong, but everything appears to boot up just fine, so I ignore it. I assume it was some warning about the RAM.

I bought the board partly because of how popular it is around these parts. I thought I may as well ask because it may well be quicker than going direct to SuperMicro. S.M. advise contacting the vendor first, which I have done and I'm awaiting a reply.

@DrKK - That's nice to hear thanks, but seen as though the server is geared heavily toward data integrity, I'd find it hard to just let it be especially if it's an issue with the RAM (seen as though I intend to use ZFS). Thankfully I've got a while to find out what the issue is whilst I way for the HDD's I'm after to drop in price... It's Sod's Law that soon as you're ready to by, the price goes up.

If I find an answer, I'll be sure to update this thread to help others with the same issue.

andyclimb

Contributor
So I get this every time I boot as well! I've been running this set up for several months without any issues, at least when using freenas rc versions.

My conclusion is that it was normal. But I don't really know. It defiantly made the more worrying beeps when I had the wrong ram!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I always interpreted it as *meaningless beeps* *single beep - All Clear*

Chaos777b

Cadet
Had the same issues this weekend with my initial build.
Finally came across the answer.
Circuits have been reset. (Ready to power up)

adrianwi

Guru
My X10SL7 chirps away a start-up, but then boots happily so I haven't really given it much more thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.