Update result in unbootable system - 5 short beeps + 1 long- No DIMM present

Eli Singer

Explorer
I just tried to updated to TrueNAS 12.0 Stable and after downloading (very slowly) the system rebooted.
Only it resulted in a series of beeps repeating the pattern of 5 short beeps + 1 long.
Screen is stuck on Supermicro logo saying "17=No DIMM present"
I couldn't find a "beep code" documentation for this but I guess it will say it doesn't recognize the DIMM's.
No reason why this would happen.

Needless to say I haven't changed any hardware, DIMM or otherwise. The system was stable and up for about a year up until now.

Any help?
My configuration is in the signature.

Thanks,

Eli

Eli Singer

Explorer
Well rebooting landed me with a different issue. It didn't throw the "No DIMM" message, but I got an error: file 'kernel' is not found (attached) and then it goes back to the boot menu.
What's going on?...

Eli

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
(attached)
There is/was nothing attached if that's what you had planned to do.

You may need to direct the BIOS boot settings to the right drive.

Eli Singer

Explorer
I managed to get it back to version 9.10.2-U6.
It seems that 12.0 isn't bootable, and 11.3 doesn't detect the network when booting.
I have no idea how to solve this.
Any ideas as to why this is happening?
Should I upgrade incrementally between each version?

Eli

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It seems that 12.0 isn't bootable, and 11.3 doesn't detect the network when booting.
If 12 doesn't boot, my first theory was going to be that your system isn't set up for the FreeBSD bootloader... but if 11.3 boots, just without network driver, then it should be proof that the bootloader is OK.

Are you 100% sure that 11.3 really boots?

There was a shift in 11 (I think from 11.1 to 11.2) where GRUB bootloader was replaced with the FreeBSD one... which is less compatible with older builds and some BIOS setups that do work for GRUB.

I would make sure to exhaust that avenue first.

Should I upgrade incrementally between each version?
not every single version... this post indicates some sort of path.

Eli Singer

Explorer
If 12 doesn't boot, my first theory was going to be that your system isn't set up for the FreeBSD bootloader... but if 11.3 boots, just without network driver, then it should be proof that the bootloader is OK.

Are you 100% sure that 11.3 really boots?

There was a shift in 11 (I think from 11.1 to 11.2) where GRUB bootloader was replaced with the FreeBSD one... which is less compatible with older builds and some BIOS setups that do work for GRUB.

I would make sure to exhaust that avenue first.

not every single version... this post indicates some sort of path.

Thanks for your reply, how do I nake sure 11.3 loads?
It seems to loop trying to establish communication through the NIC, I believe that's a stage that is after the system is booted isn't it?
Will going to 11.1 might work since it's a different bootloader?

Do I need to update the MB BIOS?

Eli

sretalla