Server died, need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjp4756

Contributor
The server in my signature decided to be difficult this morning. I reboot the server remotely via ssh. Wasn't able to ping server for sometime so I went downstairs to check and the shutdown process had completed only the server was still powered on.

I hit the reset button on the case and went upstairs. Still no response to ping. So I checked the server again and the fans were on (normal speed) and the power led was off.

This is where I am at now; fans run, hdds get power, NO lit led on case, led on motherboard is on like normal, no post beeps.

I have tried:
1. PSU from my main desktop. Same results; fans only, no lit power led on case
2. Reset CMOS and New CMOS battery. Same results.
3. Disconnect everything and remove RAM. No beeps when I do this. Computer should beep when no RAM, right?
4. Remove CPU. Press power button and nothing happens, no fans spin up.

So, any ideas on what the problem could be? Bad motherboard or bad CPU? I could probably find a replacement motherboard on ebay but if its the cpu thats bad I'd rather not be stuck with an older motherboard and just buy all new.

One thing I should add is a couple of days ago I had noticed emby-server wasn't responding. I checked the emby log and there was some mono crashes in there saying something along the lines of "could not allocate thread".

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Classic symptoms of a dead motherboard.

ChriZ

Patron
Without proper testing you cannot be 100% sure, but statistically speaking the chances of a bad CPU are way slimmer than a bad mobo.

kjp4756

Contributor
Turns out today is my lucky day. Local computer shop has a refurbished asus p8b-x for cheap. I'll pick it up tomorrow and if it turns out my cpu is bad I can return it (minus a small restocking fee).

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Does that board have any kind of IPMI / BMC? On the supermicro boards, those are kind of on their own, and will fire up, even if the main mobo itself won't fire up. Whether that was, or was not working (assuming you have it), would be relevant troubleshooting.

Sounds like a dead mainboard to me, as everyone else says.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

kjp4756

Contributor
Got the replacement motherboard yesterday and now everything is back up and running.

No IPMI on this board. Would've been nice since I was having shutdown/reboot issues for a while now. Since installing the new board, those issues are gone.

I was looking at some of those supermicro boards and once you convert to canadian dollar and add shipping it was quite expensive. I got the p8b-x for $40. I actually did have an x10-sl7 what-cha-ma-callit but I sold it and got the complete system (minus hds) in my sig for what I got for just that board.

Status
Not open for further replies.