Strange connection issues with Plex Media Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceAvenger69

Dabbler
I've been running PMS for at least a year on an NAS4Free system successfully and just recently bumped up my server capabilities so I can use FreeNAS. I'm loving FN especially the plugins features. However, I'm having a major issue getting PMS setup and accessible outsite my LAN.

I know I have my router's port forwarding correctly configured for this new server. I have Subsonic running on the same machine and can access it via the Internet no problem.

The problem I'm having is I can successfully sign my server into my Plex account and click the check box to manually specify port 32400. It responds back as indicating I'm signed in and serving through port 32400. Unfortunately, it's not accessible outside my network.

Here's the weird part. If I now click to sign out it comes back with "There was a problem signing the server out." If I try to disconect the server it replies, "There was a problem disconnecting your server."

I've tried installing and reinstalling the Plex plugin multiple times. I've also successfully install Plex manually through a jail. Each time I am unable to resolve the connection problem or the issues with the inability to sign out or disconnect the server.

Any ideas or recommendations to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

SpaceAvenger69

Dabbler
OK...not exactly sure what the issue is but I was able to resolve it by mapping the server to a different port that the default 32400. After making this change in both the server and port forwarding router, I logged out and then logged back in. Now my content is accessible via plex.tv outside of my LAN.

If something changes I will make note of it in this thread.

Bobbyg387

Dabbler
ISP's sometimes block certain ports and this could be your issue. I know some people have had to call their ISP and have a certain port opened up, but I'm not sure that is the case here. If you simply just changed the port, that could have solved the problem.

SpaceAvenger69

Dabbler
Hindsight is always 20/20 but I was under the assumption that my ISP wasn't blocking port 32400 based on the fact that it had been running on that port for over a year with no problems until I decided to upgrade my server. I only changed ports more as a hail mary than anything else. Now I know what to look for should something like this occur in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.