myPlex could not reach your server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcook

Cadet
I have Plex Media Server 0.9.8.10.215 running in a jail on my custom FreeNAS box which is running FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35). The box is connected directly to my router via ethernet. The Plex web ui loads fine and I can access it from my internal network, but I cannot figure out how to access Plex from outside my network. I can sign in to myPlex on the server, but I always get the error: "myPlex could not reach your server" when trying to publish the server to myplex.

Checking the "Manually Specify Port" box does not help. I've tried all sorts of port forwarding variations on my router to no avail. I access plex locally by going to http://192.168.1.148:32400/ but forwarding port 32400 to 192.168.1.148 does nothing. Forwarding 32400 to the IP if the FreeNAS interface doesn't work either.

Interestingly, I have transmission running as well, but it did not require any port forwarding to successfully download and upload.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

DanPrs

Explorer
Go to your WAN IP:32400 from outside your network. Alternatively you can set up a DDNS service like No-IP or DDYS...

snickasaurus

Dabbler
I find it strange you didn't have to forward a port for Transmission. My setup is as follows:

ComcastModem -> Router -> MyNetwork

You stated your box is connected directly to your router (which connects to your modem I'm sure). Here is a mock setup you should try (of course sub in your own IP Addresses).

Modem - we will say it has an address of 10.0.0.1 (most Comcast boxes)
Router - (external to modem) 10.0.0.2 (internal to network) 192.168.1.1 <----generally

In your Modem forward the 32400 port to the external IP Addy of your router
so from 10.0.0.1 t0 10.0.0.2
Then in your Router forward that port to the FreeNAS box
perhaps from 192.168.1.10

Then check your Plex webmin again to see if it is now working. Really hope this helps!

hies1971

Cadet
Hi ,
Another solution.. If you own a new generation router, you can also select "upnp option"in your router settings instead of
"port-forwarding"

snickasaurus

Dabbler
@hies1971
UPNP is a huge security risk for anything allowed outside your network to the public as it doesn't provide any authentication. It would be very easy for an attacker to make changes or gain other access once inside your network due to UPNP. My advice would be to disable UPNP on your router and never use it. Which I know really stinks since it's SO easy to do!

dcook

Cadet
Thanks for the help snickasaurus. I tried your setup, and after some failed attempts, myPlex was able to connect.

On my modem which is a Comcast Business Gateway, I forwarded public port 32400 to private 32400 and set the IP address to that of my router. In the past, I have successfully done something similar to get subsonic and transmission (running on a different computer which is also wired to my router) accessible from outside the network.

Then on my router, I tried forwarding external port 32400 and internal port 32400 to the IP address of the plex web UI as well as the IP address of the FreeNAS web UI. Neither worked originally. I tried setting it to the Plex IP again, waited a while, then retried connecting to myPlex, and it worked!

So thank you very much for your help! I had totally forgotten about port forwarding on the modem.

snickasaurus

Dabbler
SWEET PEAS!!!! Man I'm glad you got it working. :)

Always feels good when you can get stuff like that running after scratching your head for hours on end.

dcook

Cadet
SWEET PEAS!!!! Man I'm glad you got it working. :)

Always feels good when you can get stuff like that running after scratching your head for hours on end.

Definitely! I had almost given up. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.