Storage Reporting Question

siyumofu

Cadet
Hello,
I am running FreeNAS and I am having trouble interpreting and making sense of what the CLI is reporting my pool size is vs what the GUI is showing.
The GUI is showing I have Available Space 14.51 TiB (27%) used, and in Cli when I do zpool list and zpool list -v I get size 29T(Size) 7.69T (Allocated) 21.3T (Free). I am not understanding these numbers as they differ? I have 8x 4TB drives in the Pool. None of this makes sense to me. Thanks

Based on the GUI figures you've supplied, it looks like you have a pool made up of a single RAID-Z2 vdev. It will have a total usable storage capacity of 19.97 TiB. As a rule of thumb, you should avoid exceeding 80% of this figure. For more info, search this forum for 80% rule.

The zpool list figures will be different for a couple of reasons. The larger figure includes the equivalent of two parity disks that aren't available for general storage. Don't forget the units you're dealing with as well. 32TB (8 x 4TB disks) = 29.1TiB. The total storage figure will be slightly less than this due to disk and pool geometry overheads. The smaller (allocated) figure will be larger than that reported as used in the GUI as it includes overheads such as snapshots.

Last edited: