Storage Issue with Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipfel

Dabbler
Hi there,

thanks for taking the time to read my post here, I appreciate any help I can get. I realize that this probably a fairly newbish question so it should be pretty easy to answer.

I have a single 4TB HDD and I am not able to use all of the space as it seems that the Jail is taking nearly a gig of it away! I want to use as much space for media as possible. Can you tell me what I did wrong and how to fix?

Thank you!

Attachments

• freenas.storage.jpg
    freenas.storage.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 226

zipfel

Dabbler
No one? nothing? at all? There isn't anyone out there that has any idea?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you gave us nothing to go on. So I can't really help you. I'm not even sure I understand what your problem is.

zipfel

Dabbler
I posted a screen shot and I asked why do I only have 3.1 TB for my media when it should be much more. Why does the Jail take up 800GB??

Dusan

Guru
Where in the screenshot does it show that the jail takes 800GB? I see only about 7.8GB used by the jail (6.8GB + 129.2MB + 921.5MB).

zipfel

Dabbler
Under size good sir.

I dont want it to have 800GB under the size. like maybe 20GB at most.

david kennedy

Explorer
Under size good sir.

I dont want it to have 800GB under the size. like maybe 20GB at most.

I will take a stab here.

This is how ZFS works. Any file system has access to the full pool size. If you want to limit it put a quota on whatever file system you want to constrain.

zipfel

Dabbler
So I have a single 4TB hard drive. That should be roughly 3.6TB with file system yes? So my issue is why does the jail take a 800GB partition reducing my overall size of my 4tb drive to 3.1TB

Thanks for taking a stab david.

Dusan

Guru
The 4TB / 3.6TiB difference is not due to "file system". It's two different units. Disk manufacturers list the capacity in terabytes (TB, base 10) while FreeNAS uses tebibytes (TiB, base 2).
1 TB = 10^12 bytes = 1 000 000 000 000 bytes
1 TiB = 2^40 bytes = 1 099 511 627 776 bytes
Therefore 4TB = 3.638 TiB.
The Size column does not mean that the dataset is consuming that much space. The Used column shows you that.
The jails only use 139.2MiB + 6.8GiB + 921.5MiB = 7.84 GiB (not 800GB).
Your datasets (those that we can see in the screenshot) consume 503GiB + 139.2MiB + 6.8GiB + 921.5MiB + 2.2TiB = 2.7TiB.
Total capacity of your pool is 3.6TiB, your datasets use 2.7TiB so your available capacity is 3.6TiB - 2.7TiB = 0.9 TiB which is very close to the 847.7 GiB available in your screenshot (maybe it doesn't show all datasets?)

The Size column is just a simple sum of the Used and Available columns. The available space is same for all datasets in the same pool (unless you set a quotas or reservations). For example, the jails/plex_1 dataset uses 6.8GiB, available space is 847.7GiB therefore Size shows 6.8GiB + 847.7GiB = 854.5GiB.

zipfel

Dabbler
Hey Dustin,

Thanks for your help.

The problem is I had 3.6 TB for everything, then after I created my jail it shrunk to 3.1TB available. All I want is to use the full 3.6TB for everything. The screenshot shows everything storage related. (note this is only temporary until I can purchase 6x4TB - long term)

Once I get that figured out, I plan to upload all my media to it which will take up most of the 3.6TB, and then I will be able to consolidate all my old hard drives (2 x 1.5TB + 1 x 1TB) into my freeNAS. In what format? I am not sure yet, as clearly I have more research to do to figure it out.

Dusan

Guru
It did not "shrink". You consumed the space somehow. The jail uses only 7.84GiB (as the screenshot clearly shows). But, you have another 503GiB of data directly in the Aura_Library dataset (the "root" dataset). 3.1TiB + 500GiB = 3.6TiB.

david kennedy

Explorer
Uninstall plex and delete the jail to free up the space?

The jail consumes space to store its configs and such and plex needs space for its own configuration and application storage.

zipfel

Dabbler
How do I just use 3.6TB for my root dataset? I dont want to create anything else, just want the maximum amount of storage possible.

david kennedy

Explorer
As Dusan wrote, you have consumed 500GB in the root (Aura_Library dataset). You might want to look at what you put there (it has to be user data).

You have also created a jail and installed PLEX which is using space.

Dusan

Guru
You have also created a jail and installed PLEX which is using space.
Yeah, but he thinks that the plugin consumes 800GB while in reality it only uses 7.84GiB. It also seems I'm not able to communicate across that (Dataset) Size = Used (by dataset) + Available (in the entire pool).

zipfel

Dabbler
Thanks for your patience with this guys, I appreciate everyones input. And Thank you Dusan, I guess I just needed to see it in a formula format. Told you I was a newb haha

zipfel

Dabbler
Now that I understand it I can totally see why you guys didn't see any problem at all. As there is none, it is working as I want it too.

Problem resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.