Missing storage space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey J

Dabbler
Hello, wondering if anyone can explain this to me, or maybe I have something configured incorrectly.

My system consists of 8*4TB Raid-Z2, Which should be a RAW 24TB pool, (21.5 Formatted). What I can't figure out is why there seems to be 7.5Tb used, outside of my datasets. This happened after my 9.2 to 9.3 upgrade. I have since, destroyed the Pool, and re created it. Still same issue. I have only ever stored my data inside either the Media or Personal datasets.

Just a bit lost here. I am sure you all can tell I am not the most experienced with BSD, so flame on if necessary. I tried to search, but am wondering if perhaps I searched using the wrong terminology., So I do apologize if this has been covered already.

Edit:: There is some missing space But not nearly as much as I thought. SRY. Please close the thread.

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

ser_rhaegar

Patron
The 7.5TiB used includes parity data, it's the 5.3TiB from the second line that is used, after you add in the RAIDZ2 parity. Nothing has changed, 9.2 just didn't show you the raw pool usage (line 1).

Mikey J

Dabbler
But the Parity data is 8TB RAW by itself. This still doesn't seem right. I understand that there is parity space reserved, That is why I have a theoretical 24TB pool, and not a 32TB pool.

ser_rhaegar

Patron

Tywin

Contributor
My system consists of 8*4TB Raid-Z2, Which should be a RAW 24TB pool, (21.5 Formatted). What I can't figure out is why there seems to be 7.5Tb used, outside of my datasets. This happened after my 9.2 to 9.3 upgrade. I have since, destroyed the Pool, and re created it. Still same issue. I have only ever stored my data inside either the Media or Personal datasets.

Please make sure you us proper units. Within one paragraph you have used TB correctly, TB incorrectly, and Tb incorrectly. Further, it's not "24 TB raw, 21.5 TB formatted"; your pool is 32 TB raw, 24 TB usable after taking out RAID-Z2 parity.

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I first thought the same thing than you all, but after re-reading the question and the screenshot I think the OP is asking about the difference between the first and second line of the screenshot.

So the answer to this is:
  • The first line refers to the used and free spaces of the data space + the parity space --> 7.5 + 21.5 = 29 TiB = 32 TB, everything is ok.
  • The second line refers to the used and free spaces of the data space only --> 5.3 + 14.7 = 20 TiB = 22 TB, the 2 TB missing are probably the overheads, the snapshots, etc. so everything is ok too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.