4 x 4 TB WD red setup in RaidZ2 Showing 6.1 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my server up for a couple days now and have been slowly researching into NAS. As I can see I should be getting 7.5 - 9 TB usable storage with my setup but I recently looked at my storage capacity (after transferring most of my data) to see how much space was used/free and its showing only 6.1 TB usable. I am about to move the data off the server to recreate the the ZFS volume but was hoping someone could tell me why this is happening.

Searched forums and google for similar info. to no avail. Maybe I just created the initial volume incorrectly but I am 99.9% positive that I selected all 4 drives and made it raidZ2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! (Side note, why don't I see an admin account user area?)

Also, I apologize if this is in the incorrect area, I am trying to get better accustomed to using Forums!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Post the output of zpool status on pastebin and I can tell you if it's a RAIDZ2. But if you have 4 disks and expect 7.5-9TB of storage space, that would mean you should have 5TB hard drives. Do you really have 5TB disks?

Again, I am new to posting on forums and FreeNAS so I apologize if formatting and what you requested was incorrect. I was under the impression that with a 4 HDD setup that I should expect approximately 1/2 of the total HDD space as usable and 1/2 would be mirror or backup in essence.

Thanks for the reply!

freenasSS.jpg
freenasSS2.jpg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I asked for the output of zpool status from the CLI... but your screenhot happens to be sufficient.

Yes, you have a RAIDZ2.

In a 4 disk configuration a RAIDZ2 is about 1/2 of what you'd get. Your drives are 4TB. Subtract from the TB to TiB conversion because of the disparity between hard drive size manufacturer's use and your standard setup and you'd get something like 7.5TB or so.

I see nothing wrong though. Everything is as it should be.

If you have reservations setup you will appear to have less disk space, but the space is there. Reformatting your pool isn't going to give you more space though.

It seems showing this way still shows less than that. Maybe I did a wrong step somewhere else but as far as I know I did not reserve space for anything. Hah, thanks for the help btw. This screen is after putting maybe about 1 TB of data onto the system.

freenasSS4.jpg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right.. you have reservations set somewhere.

ZFS plays tricks on admins because it has datasets, reservations, quotas, snapshots, etc. The numbers mean what they mean based on your settings. For example, look at your Windows shot. You have 255KB used. Clearly that is blatantly wrong since your Archives and Media are almost 850GB.

If you really want to breakdown how all the numbers work out I'd suggest you spend a few hours with Google and play with FreeNAS in a VM until you understand it.

Thanks very much cyberjock, I appreciate the quick replies/help!

Status
Not open for further replies.