Static IP on freenas, not able to connect remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

rblissett

Cadet
My main goal is to have a home network setup that allows centralized backup for all the PCs in the house, including 1 MacBook. I've got this setup mostly working, but wanted to add print server functionality. To me this would be a great package already built in, it's not the point of this posting however. I found tutorials, all of which indicate I need to install the LPRng package to allow my NAS box to act as a print server, but quickly found pkg_add -r LPRng won't execute if it can't get past my router. My router is dlink and has the DDNS functionality built in with setup via dlinkddns.com. But after many failed efforts, I still cannot remotely access my freeNAS file structure. Within the house and on wifi, no problems. Oddly, in the shell I can ping 8.8.8.8, with successful results. So maybe I've been over thinking this, and possibly misunderstood, but the question is, with my freeNAS box set as static ip, meanwhile everything else is DHCP.... is my only solution to buy a static ip from my ISP (Rogers here in Canada), or should the DDNS functionality of the router work with my static IP of my freeNAS box.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice you can give me.

Regards. Rob

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Rob,
MI found tutorials, all of which indicate I need to install the LPRng package to allow my NAS box to act as a print server, but quickly found pkg_add -r LPRng won't execute if it can't get past my router.

Those tutorials are for FreeNAS 7, if you try to install that package on FreeNAS 8 your just going to bork up your NAS. You have 3 options:
1) Use FreeNAS 7
2) Learn about Jails and install your printserver in a jail
3) Wait for FreeNAS 8.2 with plugin support (should be released in less than 8 weeks). There may not be a plugin for print support immediately.

My router is dlink and has the DDNS functionality built in with setup via dlinkddns.com. But after many failed efforts, I still cannot remotely access my freeNAS file structure. Within the house and on wifi, no problems. Oddly, in the shell I can ping 8.8.8.8, with successful results. So maybe I've been over thinking this, and possibly misunderstood, but the question is, with my freeNAS box set as static ip, meanwhile everything else is DHCP.... is my only solution to buy a static ip from my ISP (Rogers here in Canada), or should the DDNS functionality of the router work with my static IP of my freeNAS box.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice you can give me.

Regards. Rob

You can't be serious about opening up your NAS to the internet??

Anyway, if you want to make that mistake, your DDNS of your router will work fine, you just need to forward the appropriate external port from your router to the static ip of your NAS. This is a whole *other* can of worms....

Hope that helps!

rblissett

Cadet
You can't be serious about opening up your NAS to the internet??

Anyway, if you want to make that mistake, your DDNS of your router will work fine, you just need to forward the appropriate external port from your router to the static ip of your NAS. This is a whole *other* can of worms....

Hope that helps!

It all started with trying to install a package, but the reality is I'm not hosting a website on my personal server...so this became more of dog on a bone, and I just wasn't ready to give up :smile: that said I was not going to give root access and I was looking at some sort of authentication required scenario...at the very least, include an index file. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will hold out to 8.2 just for the plugin :-b

Status
Not open for further replies.