SQLite Error - Can't Locate Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Ferraguto

Dabbler
I'm on my third FreeNAS build. The first one (8.3.0) has never given me any problems. Starts right up and after booting, I can bring it up on my Mac no problem. The second one, an 18TB FreeNAS 8.3.1 build, kept losing its WebGUI IP address; I kept manually having to re-enter it (hate hooking up the monitor to it; it's not in a convenient place).

Anyway, when the IP still wouldn't take, I hit (8): Reset to factory defaults. Uh-oh. Now, I CAN get on with the IP--I finally got it to assign and I can get to the admin page in my browser, but it's not finding my Volume(s).
I want to Auto-Import the Volume I created as per some instructions I read, but the Storage tab gives me nothing. Just a readout of Python errors - an exception on sqlite3, line 344. Same with the Services and Sharing tabs. They all point to that same error. Also the yellow Alert light is flashing saying it couldn't retrieve the current status. Please tell me I haven't lost my TB's of data. It would SEEM like this is a workable fix, but I'm stuck.

Any tips would be appreciated. Is there a shell command to Auto-Import my Volume that I can run from the console?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Are you virtualizing?

Don Ferraguto

Dabbler
No, just a straight-ahead set up. FNAS installed on USB Drive, plugged into USB slot, running off that. I have multiple monitors, so for troubleshooting I get on my knees under the table and fiddle with the DVI/VGA cords and hook the box to the monitor. Same w/the keyboard and mouse.

Thx for the links, I'll check your Guide & see if I can dig anything up, but I assume this error is a bit more involved than typical newbie errors, that's why I posed the quest., but I could be wrong.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The links weren't targeted at you. It's my sig.

You followed the import instructions in the FreeNAS manual and it didn't find your old volume? Was it ZFS or UFS? Was it Encrypted?

Don Ferraguto

Dabbler
yup, I got that it was your sig.

As explained, I can't import volumes. Can't do anything because nothing shows up. No options to Import. No options period. This happened after I selected "Reset to Factory Defaults" in single user mode at boot time.

The result is that the Storage, Services and Sharing tabs are all empty when selected. They give me nothing, no options or readouts -- except for the Python exception readout having to do with not being able to find the volume in sqlite3.

The volume(s) are unencrypted ZFS, I used a RAIDZ2 setup, but it's ZFS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It sounds like your FreeNAS is trashed. I'd reinstall FreeNAS to your USB stick(or get another stick and install onto that).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that reset to factory defaults in single user mode isn't supposed ot be used in FreeNAS. If you want to reset FreeNAS you are supposed to use the reset to defaults that is part of the menu options on the local console after bootup. That might explain your problems(and hopefully that didn't wipe your Zpool).

Don Ferraguto

Dabbler
yikes, well, i'll give a Fresh New NAS 8.3.1 a go. Hopefully then I can get to the Storage tab in the admin site via WebGUI and re-Import my Volume. Worse case scenario, I slash my wrists. I have a backup DIRECTORY LISTING of everything that was on there, just to torture me so I know what was lost, if that is in fact what ends up happening.

but this all started because my NAS build COULDN'T KEEP its gateway ID (192.168.1.x). Every start up, it kept timing out when trying to get the IP address and always defaulted to 0.0.0.0. The same thing is happening on my build #3. I didn't do anything different on the installs than on my first build, which never loses its IP -- I never have to hook it up to the monitor and reset the DNS configuration. But I have to do that EVERY SINGLE TIME on my two recent builds. Why are they not holding their IP addresses?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Don't get hasty and create a new pool or anything. If it doesn't auto-import there's still some chance we can get your data for you. You'll just have to be patient.

Don Ferraguto

Dabbler
just read your pptx file. yeah, my problem-free Build (build #1) is a SuperMicro board with an i3-2100 and an Intel NIC. The other builds are all Realtek NICs. I'm using an i3 (3225, 2125, 3240) in those, so the CPU in each is plenty powerful. Although the RAM in the 3 recent builds (1 ASRock, 2 Asus -- the Asus builds are the ones I'm having problems with) is non-ECC. you're so right about the fallacy of saving $50 on a board or RAM when you compare that against the value of the data that you might lose because of going with cheap hardware.

live and learn. the hard way.

Don Ferraguto

Dabbler
OK. Well, not really "okay." I created a new USB install of FreeNAS8.3.1 and put it in my problematic box and rebooted.

Watching the screen readouts, I saw that it recognized all my 6 internal drives, but right after I got the "SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!", here's what followed:
====

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a

ROOT MOUNT ERROR:

If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following from the loader prompt:

set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

and then remove invalid mount options from /etc/fstab

Loader variables:

vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a

vfs.root.mountfrom.options=ro

Manual root filesystem specification:

<fstype>:<device> Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
eg. cd9660:/dev/acd0
etc....

mountroot>
====

I'm using ZFS in my setup. Any reason this shows the device as UFS? I downloaded the FreeBSD Handbook and am slowing going through that. Unless anyone can offer a suggestion, this looks like it will be a slow process....

Dusan

Guru
The filesystem on the USB stick is always UFS. The error message you see is related to the USB stick, not to your ZFS pool.

Don Ferraguto

Dabbler
SUCCESS!

Thanks to cyberjock and Dusan for nudges in the right direction and sharing their experience and insight, I got my problem solved.

Dusan pointing out that the boot failure had something to do with the USB stick was right. I reformatted the stick and rewrote FreeNAS to it. Still didn't work. So I did it again. And again. Each time, I got the same failure. So I tried a different stick. Sure enough, it booted up fine. I guess I'll cross Patriot off my list for the time being...

Anyhow, I got to the admin page on the WebGUI and re-imported the Volume using Auto Import. Boom, perfect. Then (since I had reset everything to factory defaults), I had to reset the admin pass, re-create my Shares and my user account. All is peachy keen.

Just to test, I rebooted the system with cold and warm boots. Both times it held the IP address, so I'm a happy camper.

One note: I'm seeing a new type of readout during boot (I put 9.1.1 on the USB stick) saying that there may be a firmware update for one of my Seagate drives. Hadn't come across that before. I'll look into this too....

Thank you again, gentlemen for your replies and what turned out to be valuable help.

Status
Not open for further replies.