Can't import UFS volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

RagingRyno

Cadet
Hi all, I am a n00b, that being said I'll get started.

I have butchered an old PC and installed FreeNAS 8.3.1 on a USB stick, I first installed a single old drive in UFS to test it out. Well it all worked great so I added a 1TB WD Green drive, there was my first mistake, by me trying to add a NTFS drive to it the HDD partition broke, but luckily I managed to recover all the data. Once I did that I removed the existing old drive and put in my brand new WD Red 3TB, formatted to UFS, and started copying my data accross. All was working fine till I added the green drive back in and then FreeNAS seemed to be confused as to what drives were actually in there.

I read on a forum that a fresh install on the USB might do the trick then I can Auto Import the drive back in. Sounded like a good plan, once I did that I looked in 'view disks' and both were there, sweet. So I put a new volume on the now recovered 1TB Green drive no worries. Then went to auto-import the 3TB red drive with my data on it and...nothing. When I tried the Auto-Import function it didn't find any volumes to import. When I tried the 'Import Volume' function it shows the 3TB drive there, I type in the volume name, select the drive, select UFS, hit go and it gives me this error 'The selected disks were not verified for this import rules.'

And now I'm stumped. I have tried searching for this issue but most questions out there seem to be referring to ZFS and not my issue.
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help!

Thanks in advance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Auto-Import only works for zpools. I have no experience with UFS on FreeNAS, so I can provide no advice on how to import UFS partitions. I know there is a way however.

Edit: 6.3.1 of the manual says:

If you click Storage → Volumes → Auto Import Volume, you can configure FreeNAS® to use an existing software UFS or ZFS RAID volume. This action is typically performed when an existing FreeNAS® system is re-installed (rather than upgraded).

Strangely, several people have posted about your issue, and the response has always been as I mentioned above. Either a manual mistake or I'm mistaken...

I have found a couple of very big deal mistakes in the latest FreeNAS manual. For instance, FreeNAS 8.3.1 allegedly supports zfs v30(only Oracle supports that version) if you examine table 1.4a and the manual front page says 8.3.1 is based on FreeBSD 8.3.1(which doesn't exist as far as I know).

RagingRyno

Cadet
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I went and had a look at that section of the manual and it talks quite alot about importing UFS RAIDs. Silly question I know but when it says 'UFS RAID' is it referring to just one physical drive setup in UFS? is that what UFS means?

The manual then says 'NOTE: FreeNAS® will not import a dirty volume. If an existing UFS RAID does not show in the drop-down menu, you will need to fsck the volume.' I ran fsck but I have no idea what I'm looking at lol.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I went and had a look at that section of the manual and it talks quite alot about importing UFS RAIDs. Silly question I know but when it says 'UFS RAID' is it referring to just one physical drive setup in UFS? is that what UFS means?

The manual then says 'NOTE: FreeNAS® will not import a dirty volume. If an existing UFS RAID does not show in the drop-down menu, you will need to fsck the volume.' I ran fsck but I have no idea what I'm looking at lol.

I have no idea. My fsck experience is limited to linux. I do know that if you run fsck on a mounted file system expect to lose a lot of data. It could be that single disk UFS volumes aren't auto-importable, I don't really know. As I said before, UFS is outside my expertise since I've never used it. I would wait until one of the more knowledgable people reply. I do know that your data is safe, you just don't have access to it at the moment. :P

J

James

Please let me know what these mistakes are so they can be fixed (or create a wiki account and fix them). Where does the manual say that it is running version 30?

Arbee

Cadet
I post it here just so I won't open another thread for the same issue:

The Import Volume feature fails on a simple UFS disk moved from Freenas 0.7 Khasadar (revision 4919) into FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64 (r13452)
However, if I mount it manually it sees it fine (with "mount /dev/ada2p1 /mnt/disk_name")

Can it be done via GUI or not?
Thank you

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS .7 is not from the same developers as 8.x. As such, there is no support for "upgrading" a system from .7 to 8.x.

I just want to clarify that stuff may or may not upgrade. As a general rule, if it doesn't "just work" when moving to FreeNAS 8.x, then I wouldn't expect that to work and look at how to proceed with either going back to .7 or moving forward and migrating your data to be compatible with 8.x partitions/file systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.