Losing my share and access to FreeNAS after freenas error (kernel: arp: is using my ip address)

soulman1949

Dabbler
Hi there

About a couple of years ago, I installed FreeNAS for the first time to act as a server primarily for the many photos I have taken over the years - the installation was version FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64 (r12701M), 8 Gig of RAM with 3 HDs (3TB each) set up as a CIFS share on a ZFS volume.

The FreeNAS firmware was set up on a Kingston DataTraveler 100 G2 (32 GB) memory stick and worked well for quite some time on a static IP. However, in the last few weeks, I've been getting errors along the lines of "freenas kernel: arp: is using my ip address" which has stopped me logging in, but rebooting has always previously resolved the problem.

However, today things have deteriorated further with more of these error messages. Despite my original setup of a static IP at 192.168.0.3, the IP seemed to change itself to 192.168.0.9. But I could not log into the GUI even on that revised IP.

I manually reset the IP back to the original address and kept getting more of the "kernel: arp: errors" with the IP resetting itself. Eventually I managed to get it to stay at 192.168.0.3 and was able to log into the GUI.

However, the Windows share was not available. On further investigation and going into Volume Manager, I found that there were no volumes present, although all 3 Hard Drives were visible. I have to say that, at this point I was rather lost for what to do next but, trying "Auto Import Volume", it seemed to correctly recognise the previously set up Volume - used 4.7 TiB (88%), free 611.1 GiB out of a total of 5.3 TiB and the correct path. However, I haven't been able to "find" or "recreate" the ZFS Volume.

I'm totally lost here - my PC experience over the last 30 years has been exclusively Microsoft related (from MS-DOS2 through to Windows 7 x64) so my knowledge of FreeNAS is virtually non-existent, apart from installing the setup and using it!

So, I'd welcome help please on a number of fronts:

1. Firstly, is it possible for me to "recreate" my ZFS volume without loss of data and if so, how?

2. Secondly, does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing the "freenas kernel: arp: is using my ip address" error? Could this be a failing Kingston memory stick? My understanding is that amendments to the configuration are saved onto the memory stick. Is there a fail-safe method of automatically saving those changes?

I've tried to give as much detail as I can think of, hope it helps with the diagnosis?

Regards

Alan

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What IP range does your router use for dhcp? Is the ip you are trying to assign statically from that same range?

Your drives being missing is a sperate problem. Please post the output of zpool list in code tags to keep formatting so we can see what we are working with.

soulman1949

Dabbler
The router is set at 192.168.0.1, masks for all devices 255.255.255.0, so everything is within range.

As regards the second part of your reply, I'm very much a newbie as regards Freenas. How do I get the "output of the zpool list in code tags"? The only reference to zpool I've been able to find seems to infer that you access this information through shell. I don't know what commands to use to get this information, nor how to output that information.

Thanks

Alan

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The router is set at 192.168.0.1, masks for all devices 255.255.255.0, so everything is within range.

As regards the second part of your reply, I'm very much a newbie as regards Freenas. How do I get the "output of the zpool list in code tags"? The only reference to zpool I've been able to find seems to infer that you access this information through shell. I don't know what commands to use to get this information, nor how to output that information.

Thanks

Alan
Your router has a dhcp setting what is it? You have an IP conflict and need to fix it. Set your freenas box to use 192.168.0.200 this IP should be out of the dhcp range.

Instead of zpool output you can download the debug file from advanced settings in the GUI and attach it here. That will have all the info in it to figure or what is wrong.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What SweetandLow said- you have an IP conflict. The ARP messages are basically saying "dummy, you have an IP conflict!"

You need to come up with a plan that prevents the conflict. Options I would consider are:

1. Going to DHCP on the server and setting a static IP on the DHCP server.
2. Going to DHCP on the server and let it be dynamic (meh.. not the best plan)
3. Going to static IP and change the DHCP server to a smaller range and set the server outside the DHCP's addressable range.

soulman1949

Dabbler
Here are my router dhcp settings:

LAN IP

IP Address 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP
Check to enable or uncheck to disable DHCP (enabled)
IP Address 192.168.0.2 to 254 (the bottom end is variable/changeable but the upper end, 254, is fixed)
Max Users 253
Lease Time 1 Day

I wasn't aware of an IP conflict but I'll check again later.

I've attached the debug file as requested.

Many thanks

Alan

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20150601152249.txt
    217.9 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
modify the dhcp range to be like 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.254 and then set your freenas server to be 192.168.1.2. You will have to reboot all the hosts on your lan that have IP's that are in th .2-.9 range.

Also that isn't the debug file. The debug file will be a .tgz and can be downloaded from the web UI in the settings tab.

danb35

Hall of Famer
@SweetAndLow, OP is running 8.3. There's no reason to expect that the debug file from that version would look anything like what we see in 9.3.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
@SweetAndLow, OP is running 8.3. There's no reason to expect that the debug file from that version would look anything like what we see in 9.3.
ahh missed that little bit of information

soulman1949

Dabbler
Ah, I was just about to post that I've looked extensively through the documentation and the only option available produces a debug.txt file and that I can't find any option relating to a .tgz file. However, I see from the above that I've been fed a bum steer! ;-)

So, is there anything I can do to "recreate" my "lost" ZFS Volume?

BTW, I'll be changing the DHCP settings as recommended when I've finished some downloading.

Thanks

Alan

danb35

Hall of Famer
Edit: bother, a double post. Well, I'll just edit this one to add the other thing I thought of after hitting the Post button: your pool is too full. Pools really shouldn't exceed 80% of their capacity for best performance, and you're close to 90%. Probably a low-priority issue for right now though.

danb35

Hall of Famer
trying "Auto Import Volume", it seemed to correctly recognise the previously set up Volume - used 4.7 TiB (88%), free 611.1 GiB out of a total of 5.3 TiB and the correct path. However, I haven't been able to "find" or "recreate" the ZFS Volume.
It sounds like you have the volume. If you can pull up the shell via the web GUI, via the keyboard, or (ideally) connect to the server using ssh, run these commands and post the output:
Code:
zpool status
zpool import

soulman1949

Dabbler
Hi danb35, yes the server capacity is on the high side, but as you say, the first priority is to get my ZFS volume back.

On that topic, I ran the two commands (above) from the shell (as I don't know how to use ssh). The first seemed to identify the three HDs correctly and reported "No known data errors". The import command, however, produced a whole stack of "unrecovered read errors". However I don't know how to copy that output to a text file so I can post that here (I know how to do this in DOS, but that's no help here, LOL). Can you advise, please? Sorry about this, I did say I'm a noob! ;-)

Many thanks

Alan

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, you really should learn to use ssh. If you were using a modern operating system, an ssh client would be included, but if you're using Windows, you'll need to download and install one. Probably the most popular is PuTTY at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/. I recall hearing positive comments about Bitvise (http://www.bitvise.com/ssh-client) as well, but I haven't used it. You'll need to make sure ssh is turned on on your FreeNAS server (see the manual for details). For the sake of simplicity, enable password logins for root, and set a password for the root user. Then, launch PuTTY, enter the IP address of your server, root for the username, and the password you've set as the password. This should give you a nice terminal window that you can easily copy from and paste to--the few times I've used the web GUI's shell feature, copy/paste hasn't worked well at all.

For better security, it's recommended to set up SSH with public key authentication instead of passwords. This can be done later and is left as an exercise for the reader.

From what you've said, though, it sounds like your volume is already mounted on your FreeNAS installation. If you go to View Volumes (manual link), does it show up?

dhenzler

Explorer
None of the above has fixed this problem, RIGHT!
The same issue came to me on two occasions. The first when running FreeNAS 11.2 u5 on a ssd, and the 2nd occurance came after an unscheduled shutdown, where the system didn't get to do housekeeping prior to the end. This was a VMware install and has been working flawlessly. After looking over the situation, I decided to change the IP address and the problem ceased to repeat itself. go figure !!! But it worked.

Dave RESOLVED TO MY SATISFACTION