SOLVED - Shares not accessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVB

Contributor
Freenas has been working for me with pretty much out of the box settings for a few years now. Over the weekend I did the upgrade fron 9.2.1.2 to 9.2.1.7 and it didn't go well. All 3 other computers in my little home network (mine, wife's & HTPC) lost contact with the CIFS shares. Not being a software kinda guy I was a bit leery about poking around too much but I did a few minor thing like change the ACL from windows to Unix and back, set the permissions recursively, rebuilt the network interface, reloaded the config that worked in 9.2.1.2, turned CIFS off and on in Services, changed IP address and tried to find a solution on the net - which lead me to here.

The entire Freenas box doesn't show up on my network at all while everything else that should be there is there. Since I am able to use the GUI and I can ping it that tells me the physical connection is good but I changed cables and the switch port anyway. Last night I reloaded 9.2.1.2 from the USB, reloaded what was a working config and I still don't have access to my shares. I get the standard "Network Path Not Found" in Explorer when I click on the share. So I am at a loss. If anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

AMD 965X4 @3.4Mhz
16GB Ram
3TB Seagate x 10 ZFS2
3 Shares - Movies, Music, Pictures
1 user

Whatever else you need to know just ask and if I know how to to get it I'll post it

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Freenas has been working for me with pretty much out of the box settings for a few years now. Over the weekend I did the upgrade fron 9.2.1.2 to 9.2.1.7 and it didn't go well. All 3 other computers in my little home network (mine, wife's & HTPC) lost contact with the CIFS shares. Not being a software kinda guy I was a bit leery about poking around too much but I did a few minor thing like change the ACL from windows to Unix and back, set the permissions recursively, rebuilt the network interface, reloaded the config that worked in 9.2.1.2, turned CIFS off and on in Services, changed IP address and tried to find a solution on the net - which lead me to here.

The entire Freenas box doesn't show up on my network at all while everything else that should be there is there. Since I am able to use the GUI and I can ping it that tells me the physical connection is good but I changed cables and the switch port anyway. Last night I reloaded 9.2.1.2 from the USB, reloaded what was a working config and I still don't have access to my shares. I get the standard "Network Path Not Found" in Explorer when I click on the share. So I am at a loss. If anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

AMD 965X4 @3.4Mhz
16GB Ram
3TB Seagate x 10 ZFS2
3 Shares - Movies, Music, Pictures
1 user

Whatever else you need to know just ask and if I know how to to get it I'll post it

Can you access the shares by typing in the IP address or hostname in Windows Explorer?

AVB

Contributor
Can you access the shares by typing in the IP address or hostname in Windows Explorer?
Typing in the IP takes me to the GUI which I have been able to access this whole time. Typing in \\freenas\pictures gives the standard "Check the spelling...." error box

AVB

Contributor
Now I'm getting these error emailed to me since I did another fresh install of 9.2.1.2 this morning.

newsyslog: change_attrs couldn't chmod(/var/log/cron.2): Operation not permitted
newsyslog: change_attrs couldn't chmod(/var/log/cron.1): Operation not permitted
newsyslog: change_attrs couldn't chmod(/var/log/cron.0): Operation not permitted
newsyslog: can't fchmod temp file '/var/log/cron.zJxEYlK': Operation not permitted

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That sounds kind of like a corrupt FreeNAS installation....

AVB

Contributor
I'll do another fresh install later today and see if the messages stop. Thanks.

AVB

Contributor
OK fresh install of 9.2.1.2 stopped the messages but didn't fix the problem. In fact if I stop CFIS I can't start it again. Did a reset to factory defaults and CFIS still won't start . Did a clean install of 9.2.1.7, installed known working config, no luck. Stopped CFIS but it won't restart again. Going to DL an old version like 9.1 tonight and see what that does. I really don't understand how I can have the GUI interface but can't see any of the shares on the network.

AVB

Contributor
Can't install 9.1 because ZFS changed and it doesn't recognize my volumes. Went back to 9.2 and from a clean install and not importing any config I can't start CFIS so that seems to be what the problem is. What do I need to do to force CFIS to start?

marcevan

Patron
I can say that on my Win8 I can see but not access //freenas, but can on //it's IP.

I can also say that on my Win7 HTPC I can see and access both ways, but only on //it's IP do I get realtime files...//freenas seems to lag when new files are there but I cannot see them for hours.

AVB

Contributor
Ended up loading 9.2.1.7, loading my old config, turning off CIFS, running chmod 0755 /var/db/samba4 from the command line in the shell and then turning on CIFS in services. Everything is back as it was.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Considering that /var is a memory device, a reboot was all it took to fix permissions on /var....

*if* somehow the chmod actually made a difference, you'll find that on reboot you'll have to do it again. ;)

And to be honest, if you are having permissions problems with FreeNAS' OS files, you probably have much larger problems than you realize and you should solve those problems vice doing permissions changes on the scale you are suggesting.

AVB

Contributor
If I have larger problems than I realize it is kinda hard to fix them since I don't know what they are or could be.;) I have rebooted the system twice and the fix has held so far.....maybe it is because I did a save of the config. I don't mean the off site save (which I did too) but just the regular save button. I'll know if it still works when I turn on the system again tonight. I also did test it on a spare computer before I subjected my data to the fix. Reloading 15TB of data from backup would take the rest of the week :eek:. 9.2.1.7 would not show shares on that machine either on a clean install with empty drives. Maybe it is an AMD glitch, I don't know and it is beyond what I need to know. I'm just happy that it does what it used to now.

I'll let you know what happens tonight.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I doubt it's an "AMD glitch". I'm no AMD fan but I also don't believe in bashing stuff unless it's actually likely to be the problem. Except Apple stuff.. I always bash them because the CTO of iX is an ex Apple employee so it's extra fun!

I was more of just saying that your chmod probably didn't do anything at all to "fix" your problem.

If it works that's all that matters though. :P

AVB

Contributor
I wasn't bashing AMD, I have 5 of them in the house. It was just my odd way of saying I couldn't test on an intel box. I always bash Apple too since I hate proprietary stuff My favorite is: Apple - for people who think they are creative.:p

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Considering that /var is a memory device, a reboot was all it took to fix permissions on /var....

*if* somehow the chmod actually made a difference, you'll find that on reboot you'll have to do it again. ;)

And to be honest, if you are having permissions problems with FreeNAS' OS files, you probably have much larger problems than you realize and you should solve those problems vice doing permissions changes on the scale you are suggesting.
On FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 /var/log is a symlink to /mnt/[zpool]/.system/syslog/log
This means that if you jack up permissions on your zpool you'll jack up your logging as well. :)
Understandably, messing up permissions on your .system dataset causes all sorts of interesting errors and unexpected behaviours.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
On FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 /var/log is a symlink to /mnt/[zpool]/.system/syslog/log
This means that if you jack up permissions on your zpool you'll jack up your logging as well. :)
Understandably, messing up permissions on your .system dataset causes all sorts of interesting errors and unexpected behaviours.

Good point. That wasn't going through my head at the time.

I stand corrected.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's understandable. It's a difference between how FreeNAS and TrueNAS operate. In TrueNAS /var/log isn't a symlink.

I take it you have a TrueNAS system?

Also, the fact that /var/log isn't a symlink will be fixed in 9.3/9.2.1.8 of TrueNAS. :)

AVB

Contributor
I still have read only on every file if you two have any ideas how to get rid of that en masse.....

Status
Not open for further replies.