CIFS Share and permissions problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chylewe

Cadet
Firstly I know this is a problem entirely of my doing but i just need some help to try and remedy this situation.
I am running version 9.2.1.2 which is an upgrade of a previous ver 8.xxx
I have a single vol0 which is a raidz1 volume across 4x 3Tb drives.
There is also a few plugins installed (Plex, Tranmission and Firefly)

My wife works on a MAC and i have created a dataset for her that contains her timemachine backup. I created a user for her. Previously a lot of file moving and copying, etc was done using an AFP Share as i couldn't get CIFS working. Later it turns out it was Win8.1 that was giving me the hassles. When i changed to Win7 CIFS was working again. So i followed one of the setup docs to get guess access (keeping it as simple as possible) But then i ran into problems moving and creating files or directories. So i tried to create a new user and set Vol0 permissions (recursively) to be associated with this new user. Then after a reboot of the system i found that the shares weren't working and also that the plugins wouldn't start. To try and fix it i changed the permissions of Vol0 back to root.
All my media exists in folder in Vol0.

Is there anyway to tidy up this mess and get CIFS and my plugins working again?

Thanks
Mark

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your plugin jails are probably unusable since you overwrote the settings.
As for CIFS, it's always fixable. The question is how long and how many commands it'll take for you to fix. You won't see much for recommendations on permissions because it can quickly turn into a 3-day conversation to explain everything. History has shown that due to the volume of question we just can focus on a single user's permissions problem and still keep the questions answered.

chylewe

Cadet
Hey Cyberjock, i see you trying to help out all over the place so thanks for trying again in this instance. What do you recommend? Should i just fix the CIFS so that i can copy everything off and then do a fresh install? only to copy everything back?
Or is there a better way of tackling this problem?

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
chylewe: My advice would be to create a VM and experiment with permissions. Make sure you understand it *fully*. Be able to break and fix permissions from a single command line command and THEN go to your real server and fix it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.