Web GUI not accessible

Status
Not open for further replies.
V 9.2.1.1&2 HP Proliant Micro server

My v 9.2.1 was running ok except for an error about security (security = user in smb.conf). It was recommended I update to 9.2.1.1 which I did with the updater. When I restored my config the console didn't report a web connect address and I can't connect to the web interface.

This is what I have tried:
Reloaded 9.2.1.1 from scratch. Got an address when I rebooted. Logged in to the GU! and restored the config. Web Gui gone again.

Reverted to 9.2.1 Same deal. So I rest to factory defaults. Got an address then tried an older config. Same problem.

Noticed 9.2.1.2 was available so I downloaded that and loaded it on a new usb stick. Same problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More info I think. I did a ps -axww | grep nginx and got back nothing. looking through all the loaded processes I see django but not nginx.

asavage

Cadet
I have had a similar situation. The 9.2.1.1 install's smbd started acting wonky, and when I went to look into it, the GUI wouldn't come up (Firefox says, "Unable to connect").

No matter what I did at the console (reset network, delete interface and reconfigure) I could never get the GUI to work, so I reset to factory settings, and like you I could then configure the IP/Default DNS/Gateway and access the GUI . . . until I restored the saved configuration: no GUI, and like you no console notification of IP to use. Odd.

I was going to try installing 9.2.1.2 from scratch and uploading the saved config, but it sounds like you've already tried that and struck out :(

Even more info. Tried starting on 9.2.0 and was able to do a config import but since I had done a spool update on my volume (I know now that was dumb), it wouldn't mount the volume. Anyway I went back to the 9.2.1.2 install and watched the boot process. Many items including nginx said there was no space left on device /mnt/Volume1/.system/syslog/logs/

Got the web GUI to run. Did this:
1 rm /var/logs
2. mkdir /var/logs
3. services nginx start

This is running 9.2.1.2

I moved the database file to a new drive all by itself. ( Settings>Advanced>System Dataset Pool) I don't know if that will help the problem with no space for logs. I'm kind of reluctant to reboot.

I did get my last drive to grow my volume swapped out, so the darned thing can just run without the GUI if need be. It is pretty much configured the way I want.

I can confirm Pete Van der Goores solution stated above. I have a small correction to add, which I had to perform after upgrading to 9.2.1.2:

1. rm /var/log
2. mkdir /var/log
3. service nginx start

It seems a couple of 's's have been appended where they shouldn't have. Anyway, thank you very much Pete, this helped me out greatly!

tlwide

Cadet
I can confirm Pete Van der Goores solution stated above. I have a small correction to add, which I had to perform after upgrading to 9.2.1.2:

1. rm /var/log
2. mkdir /var/log
3. service nginx start

It seems a couple of 's's have been appended where they shouldn't have. Anyway, thank you very much Pete, this helped me out greatly!

This fixed my problem. I updated from 9.2.0 to 9.2.1.2 and my FreeNAS web GUI stopped working. All my jail web GUI's worked and I could SSH into my FreeNAS box but no FreeNAS web GUI.

tlwide

Cadet
This fixed my problem. I updated from 9.2.0 to 9.2.1.2 and my FreeNAS web GUI stopped working. All my jail web GUI's worked and I could SSH into my FreeNAS box but no FreeNAS web GUI.

I may have spoke to soon. I rebooted my FreeNAS box today and the problem returned, but running Pete Van der Goores solution corrected it again.

J

jkh

How much space do you folks have for logs? That's really weird that your log datasets would fill up like this, or are you not using the system dataset for logging?

Slacker

Cadet
I also upgraded from 9.2.0 to 9.2.1.2 and had the same problem. With your help I found a fix:
/var/log is a link to a non-existent directory, so I created the destination directory, in my case " /mnt/internal/.system/syslog/log" and the webgui started and persisted through reboot.
Just do a ls -l /var/log and create the target directories, in my case I cd'd to /mnt/internal/ and created /.system, then /.system/syslog, then /.system/syslog/log

I'm very new to FreeNAS, so I have no idea if the syslog dir got moved or what...

Edit: Also had to create /var/log/samba4 so samba would stop bitching. Hopefully this is fixed in 9.2.1.3

shawndewet

Dabbler
I have been running my freenas server without issue for a number of months now.
Recently though the web GUI has just been unavailable through any browser. I have a couple of jails (plex, couchpotato, virtualbox, etc) all running fine (I can access their sites via browser). I can also access my freenas file shares over the network. It's just the FreeNAS web GUI that is not available.
I have no idea where to start troubleshooting, but following what I've seen in this post (using putty connection):
ps -axww | grep nginx returns:
3883 ?? Is 0:00:00 nginx: master process /usr/local/sbin/nginx
3884 ?? I 0:00:00 nginx: worker process (nginx)
15579 0 S+ 0:00:00 grep nginx

Also did:
1. rm /var/log
2. mkdir /var/log
3. service nginx start
Got an error about nginx already running (which make sense from the above grep results), so replaced start with restart.
Got no errors.

Still webgui unavailable. Please advise what do I check from here?

shawndewet

Dabbler
I'd love to upgrade...but how do I do so without being able to access the GUI?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

shawndewet

Dabbler
Thanks @Ericloewe, I have a questionn regarding this process though, but have posted it in this new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.