SMB share hangs a lot

tomerg

Dabbler
I've installed a server (specs below) and it works but it hangs for 2-3 sec a lot of times. I wonder how I can make it run smoother. I thought of adding a cache but seems like write cache is usually not beneficial with SMB shares (win 10 on the other sides). The whole database is about 30GB and there are about 8 users in the office. the LAN max speed is 100Mb.
The previous server was ok and I'm quite sure it had slower specs and ran on linux.

I would really appreciate your help on this. They are convinced freenas is the problem...

ryzen 3 3200g 3.6ghz raedon vega 4 am4
asus tuf b450
gskill aegis 2*8gb 3000 ddr4 cl16
2*wd red 1TB i thing it is 5400 rpm.
transcend ssd

This post may be helpful Where is my bottleneck? An upgrade to Gigabit ethernet may offer some noticeable improvement.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What does hang mean? You have really given zero information. No one can help you.

Also I don't think you really have 100Mb connection. Why do you think this is what you have? If this is try that needs to be fixed, everything is 1gb or higher for the most part.

tomerg

Dabbler
What does hang mean? You have really given zero information. No one can help you.

Also I don't think you really have 100Mb connection. Why do you think this is what you have? If this is try that needs to be fixed, everything is 1gb or higher for the most part.
i'm very sorry. i'm not a pro. just doing a project for my brother and apparently i suck. please tell me what info i need to write. the switch is 100mb and everything is connected with cat5 cables. i also ran iperf and the resurlts were arround 95mb. the cards on most pc's or all are indeed 1G.
by hang i mean that the computer waits 2-3 seconds sometimes before an operation is made. these are good computers way stronger then the server.

Last edited:

tomerg

Dabbler
i don't think it is true to say i have given zero info. for instance would a write cache be beneficial?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
i don't think it is true to say i have given zero info. for instance would a write cache be beneficial?
Your problem could be hundreds of different things. The information you provided did not ask a specific question or help narrow down to an area.

It could be your clients, what os are they. It could be your network. It could be the switch. Are you using WiFi? What random setting are you using on freenas? Have your tried the defaults because those are usually best.

Just saying it hangs is not good information. I guess start by switching to gigabit Ethernet. That will not help with a "hang" but it's definitely a problem.