SMART error (Temperature) detected on host

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtK

Patron
I'm not going to get used to the noise. I had a similar issue with my PC and its psu fan (worked at full speed conatantly). After I replaced the psu, I sleep liie a baby... :smile:

and my case is Fractal Define Mini. not very good for airflow, and yet it seems fine now...

joeschmuck

Old Man
If the fans are too noisy then run them on 5VDC or 7VDC vice the full 12VDC. This will make them spin slower reducing the noise but you will still get air flow. some fans though will not run at 5VDC so you might be stuck with 7VDC. The main thing is to figure out why the air is not flowing well in your case. Maybe a few photos of the inside would help out. But if you can live with the extra noise, that is fine too.

In my case I have no fans except the power supply exhaust fan and my min/max drive temps since power on are 25-39C with 32C being the normal. I suspect 39C occurs during a scrub. I also have 6 WD Red 2TB drives in the case. My case is an old mid-tower I've had laying around and my drives are in every other drive bay so I have a gap between each drive of over 1 inch and the case lays on it's side which promotes good air circulation instead of having the heat of each drive rise to warm up the drive above it. I would like to see a case manufacturer make a case where the drives are installed on their sides since it promotes better thermals.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The drive cages look to be horizontal mount for the drives. What I'm speaking of is to have the drives sit on their sides, not flat. But that is a small case. Do you have a fan on the left case cover? If not then I'd put duct tape or similar product over it (on the inside of course) to prevent air being sucked in through that hole and ensure the air flow is going the direction you want it to. In fact I would try the following setup myself... Two front intake fans and one exhaust fan in top of the case or rear of the case would depend on if the CPU has a directional fan and that is where I'd put it, tape up the other air holes as they do not benefit good air flow. In fact I would only have the two front fans as intake and any other fans you add be exhaust. This will maximize the air flow across the hard drives. If you were to run all the fans at 7VDC that might be fine too but you would have to experiment. Since computer parts are still on sale, purchase a few of the 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan adapters. You can then relocate the 4 pin side to 5VDC or 7VDC.

The thing to keep in mind is look for how the air flows in your case. Plan a path for it and don't forget about all heat producing components. So you cool the drives down but now you superheat the north bridge, not good. Feel the component temps and just make a plan. In one computer I created many years ago I actually made cardboard air flow diverter to keep the hot north bridge cooler. It wasn't very large and finding a good way to mount it was the only hard thing because I wanted it easily removable and reusable. Cover up all unused holes with tape from the inside of the case. Don't use crappy tape that will fail over time. A roll of Duct tape works, I personally use Gorilla Tape, that shit is hard to take off.

Of course you might be fine with the setup you have right now. I guess the other option is to relocate the server to a place in your home where the noise would not be an issue. Mine is in the basement although it is virtually noise free. My computer room is packed enough so for me it's a space issue.

MtK

Patron
you probably missed this (which is the current state):
UPDATE:
I added one more Stock Fractal Define Fan (from another case I have).
so now there are 2 front intake + 1 top/rear exhaust + 1 bottom exhaust.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
There are much quieter fans that this, if the noise bothers you.

MtK

Patron
yes, the plan is to replace them

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
A fan like this claims to be around 14dBA, which should literally be mostly inaudible. As it moves over 50 CFM, it moves a decent amount of air too.

Anything 18dBA or less is probably, for all intents and purposes, nearly silent.

MtK

Patron
the problem is, I can only find old models of all the fans you recommend and almost double the price :(

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I think the solution, sir, is to move to North America.

Reactions: MtK

MtK

Patron
that might be cheaper than a fan here... ;-)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Probably would get a better job, with better pay, too :)

(But, you'd have to buy your own health care)

MtK

Patron
[UPDATE]
move the bottom fan to the top of the case, so now I have:
  1. 2 x front fans (next to the drive cages) = intake.
  2. 1 x rear/top = exhaust.
  3. 1 x top = exhaust.
not sure if it's the new airflow setup and/or the rain outside, but:
Code:
# smartctl -a /dev/ada0
smartctl 6.1 2013-03-16 r3800 [FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:    Western Digital RE Serial ATA
Device Model:    WDC WD2500YS-23SHB0
Serial Number:    WD-WCANY3785393
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 1ab39da37
Firmware Version: 20.06C04
User Capacity:    250,059,350,016 bytes [250 GB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:  ATA/ATAPI-7 (minor revision not indicated)
Local Time is:    Sun Dec  8 13:01:01 2013 IST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x84) Offline data collection activity
                                        was suspended by an interrupting command from host.
                                        Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (  0) The previous self-test routine completed
                                        without error or no self-test has ever
                                        been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:                ( 8280) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:                    (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                                        Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
                                        Suspend Offline collection upon new
                                        command.
                                        Offline surface scan supported.
                                        Self-test supported.
                                        Conveyance Self-test supported.
                                        Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
                                        power-saving mode.
                                        Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
                                        General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (  2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (  97) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (  6) minutes.
SCT capabilities:              (0x103f) SCT Status supported.
                                        SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
                                        SCT Feature Control supported.
                                        SCT Data Table supported.
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG    VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate    0x000f  200  200  051    Pre-fail  Always      -      0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003  190  187  021    Pre-fail  Always      -      5475
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      96
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct  0x0033  200  200  140    Pre-fail  Always      -      0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate        0x000f  200  200  051    Pre-fail  Always      -      0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032  092  092  000    Old_age  Always      -      6204
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013  100  253  051    Pre-fail  Always      -      0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0013  100  253  051    Pre-fail  Always      -      0
12 Power_Cycle_Count      0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      93
194 Temperature_Celsius    0x0022  123  098  000    Old_age  Always      -      27
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable  0x0010  200  200  000    Old_age  Offline      -      0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate  0x0009  200  200  051    Pre-fail  Offline      -      0
SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline      Completed without error      00%      6194        -
# 2  Short offline      Completed without error      00%      6169        -
# 3  Extended offline    Completed without error      00%      6137        -
SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

summary: temp < 30(scrub is running)

now, back to those noise fans :)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I'm glad your temps are better. Amazing how much difference a bit of reconfiguration of the airflow can make.

Status
Not open for further replies.