S.M.A.R.T. via USB

curlyboi

Cadet
Hi,

so I am experimenting with FreeNAS for the first time.

I read a good amount of the forum and know I am operating on suboptimal configuration, still I would like to know if someone has experienced something similar.

I have an older office computer Dell Optiplex 980 with i5-650, 12 GB RAM and internal SSD.
I have VMWare ESXi where I have installed FreeNAS with 8 GB RAM fully allocated from the host.

I have a USB 3.1 PCI Express controller (ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller) that I have VT-d passed through to the FreeNAS VM.

I have 4x Toshiba N300 6TB in external enclosure Icy Box IB-3740-C31. This box is connected via USB-C cable to the USB 3.1 PCIe controller.

In FreeNAS I can see the 4 individual HDDs and have created a RAID-Z1 pool. Everything works.

But I am not getting S.M.A.R.T. readings in the Reporting. I know smartd works because I also have external USB HDD that I am currently Importing (old NTFS drive) and this one shows SMART details alright.

I would write this off as the IcyBox simply not being able to provide SMART data for the SATA drives but here's the thing.
On the FreeNAS console (the actual primary display of that VM), I'm getting temperature warnings:
Code:
Sep 17 13:31:36 nas smartd[42780]: Device /dev/da4 [SAT], Temperature 59 Celsius reached critical limit of 50 Celsius (Min/Max 50/59)
Sep 17 13:31:36 nas smartd[42780]: Device /dev/da3 [SAT], Temperature 64 Celsius reached critical limit of 50 Celsius (Min/Max 54/64)
Sep 17 13:31:36 nas smartd[42780]: Device /dev/da2 [SAT], Temperature 65 Celsius reached critical limit of 50 Celsius (Min/Max 55/65)
Sep 17 13:31:36 nas smartd[42780]: Device /dev/da1 [SAT], Temperature 58 Celsius reached critical limit of 50 Celsius (Min/Max 48/58)

So the smartd is clearly able to read the S.M.A.R.T. information from the drives, it just doesn't show in the FreeNAS system. Any help?

curlyboi

Cadet
Hi.
Thanks for the link.
The thread discusses two things.
1) problems with dashboard - that's not what i was after as the data did not populate even in the report
2) no temps on vm - this is the case for cpu, but since i am passing through the whole USB controller, i get unvirtualized access to the actual drives (this is verified by the fact that the temps DO SHOW UP in the console. actually, even when i run smartctl from terminal i get the temperature and all SMART data from any particular drive there, it just doesn't populate to the gui)

However, even though this probably needs to be solved, my motivation is lost now since the drives were running at 55°C in that enclosure (the controller board was completely obstructing air flow) so I switched to regular case computer with drives inside and 12cm fan in front of them.