SMART error (OfflineUncorrectableSector) Offline uncorrectable sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

diedrichg

Wizard
Is IPMI View installable by a home user? I tired to get a download link and SM's form gave an error. If I can't use IPMI View - where can I look to see any memory errors in FreeNAS? Are these kinds of errors something that would be emailed to me by FreeNAS?

TXAG26

Patron
The IPMI pages are difficult to find on Supermicro's site. These are free programs that Supermicro makes available for all of their boards that have IPMI capabilities. Remember, you'll first need to go into the bios and Enable and set the IP address for the IPMI device (and hook up an ethernet cable to the port if it's a dedicated port).

There is also a JAVA web-based version that runs concurrently on that same IP address you just set in the bios (just type that into a web browser).

Default username and passwords are: ADMIN (both in all caps).

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMIView/
(IPMIView is the quickest way to upgrade the IPMI firmware on your board, if it is IPMI capable)

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/IPMI.cfm
(this page has all of the IPMI resources in the column on the left, as well as new versions of the IPMI firmware (if available for your board).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The IPMI pages are difficult to find on Supermicro's site. These are free programs that Supermicro makes available for all of their boards that have IPMI capabilities. Remember, you'll first need to go into the bios and Enable and set the IP address for the IPMI device (and hook up an ethernet cable to the port if it's a dedicated port).

There is also a JAVA web-based version that runs concurrently on that same IP address you just set in the bios (just type that into a web browser).

Default username and passwords are: ADMIN (both in all caps).

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMIView/
(IPMIView is the quickest way to upgrade the IPMI firmware on your board, if it is IPMI capable)

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/IPMI.cfm
(this page has all of the IPMI resources in the column on the left, as well as new versions of the IPMI firmware (if available for your board).

For what it's worth, I couldn't get their software to run on my Windows 7 x64 desktop. IIRC, their .bat file that started the Java application was wrong - since it has been a while since I've messed with Java, I just tried something else.

Is IPMI View installable by a home user? I tired to get a download link and SM's form gave an error. If I can't use IPMI View - where can I look to see any memory errors in FreeNAS? Are these kinds of errors something that would be emailed to me by FreeNAS?

In any case, the errors are viewable through the IPMI Web Interface, maybe even in the BIOS.

TXAG26

Patron
For what it's worth, I couldn't get their software to run on my Windows 7 x64 desktop. IIRC, their .bat file that started the Java application was wrong - since it has been a while since I've messed with Java, I just tried something else.

In any case, the errors are viewable through the IPMI Web Interface, maybe even in the BIOS.

I believe Supermicro's IPMIView still needs Java v6.x. (I ran into this issue once before). I have both Java v6.x and v7.x installed and everything works well. The web interface is nice if you just have one server to manage.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I believe Supermicro's IPMIView still needs Java v6.x. (I ran into this issue once before). I have both Java v6.x and v7.x installed and everything works well. The web interface is nice if you just have one server to manage.

Next time, I'll try Java 6, then. Dealing with more Java can't be worse than using less-than-optimally-documented command line tools that mess with IPMI (who am I kidding, there's nothing worse than the JRE...)

titan_rw

Guru
I've seen an HP server logging ecc events in it's iLo log. Basically said something like "processor 2, memory slot 3 exceeded ecc correction threshold".

Not sure about other brands, but I imagine it would always be handled by the Out of Band management engine (ipmi / ilo, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.