Should I write compressed or uncompressed data to a ZFS dataset with compression on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovizii

Patron
I'm busy testing a new tool to backup a full HD and I can select for it to compress its output so I was wondering if there is a point in doing so as it writes to a share and the underlying ZFS dataset has compression enabled.

I'm thinking that if I disable compression in my backup tool, it will work faster and consume less CPU and the ZFS compression will do the job automatically?

Any thoughts on this?

gpsguy

My WAG is that the backup tool will do a much better job with compression, than FreeNAS will.

Why don't you try it, with and without compression and compare the results.

ovizii

Patron
I'm busy trying but it just one full backup will take quite long so I thought I'd ask, while waiting for the practical test to finish :smile:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I'd look at the storage consumed both ways, and whether having the backup tool not do compression saves any time (which is unlikely unless it's CPU-bound).

EDIT: either way, leave compression enabled on the dataset. There's unlikely to be any measurable cost, and there's a chance of a useful benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.