How Do I Enable Encryption And How Do I Start A S.M.A.R.T Test On My Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcticWolf_11

Dabbler
Hello, new to FreeNAS and I checked the option when creating my volume to enable encryption is that all I needed to do and can I change what type of encryption that it uses? I have also made a job to automatically do S.M.A.R.T tests but I can't figure out how to do one at will. One last thing, I have my compression set to Gzip-9. If I find that it is too slow, can I select another compression method without any consequences such as having to re-upload all my files back to the box or will it convert it automatically? Thanks! :D

danb35

Hall of Famer
is that all I needed to do
Yes. But download your backup key or you'll lose your data some day.
can I change what type of encryption that it uses?
No.
I can't figure out how to do one at will.
From the command line. smartctl -t (long|short) (device)
I have my compression set to Gzip-9.
Why?
I select another compression method without any consequences
Yes, but the data currently compressed as gz9 will stay that way--only newly-written data will be compressed with the new method.

I count three completely unrelated questions here. It probably would be better to start separate threads for unrelated questions (after searching for the answers, of course).

ArcticWolf_11

Dabbler
Yes. But download your backup key or you'll lose your data some day.

No.

From the command line. smartctl -t (long|short) (device)

Why?

Yes, but the data currently compressed as gz9 will stay that way--only newly-written data will be compressed with the new method.

I count three completely unrelated questions here. It probably would be better to start separate threads for unrelated questions (after searching for the answers, of course).
Thanks and sorry about that, just didn't want to split this into multiple threads as I thought these were simple questions but for some reason I couldn't find it in google. The reason why I chose Gzip-9 is because I wanted to save the most space possible for my files so that I won't have to worry about getting larger drives for a long time. I understand that it is really taxing on the CPU but the server that I have has 2x E5-2450L @ 1.8Ghz base so I assume it should be enough (enough to saturate gigabit/my hard drive's read and write speeds hopefully).

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thanks and sorry about that, just didn't want to split this into multiple threads as I thought these were simple questions but for some reason I couldn't find it in google. The reason why I chose Gzip-9 is because I wanted to save the most space possible for my files so that I won't have to worry about getting larger drives for a long time. I understand that it is really taxing on the CPU but the server that I have has 2x E5-2450L @ 1.8Ghz base so I assume it should be enough (enough to saturate gigabit/my hard drive's read and write speeds hopefully).
Most data for home use, like video and audio files, isn't very compressible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

ArcticWolf_11

Dabbler
Most data for home use, like video and audio files, isn't very compressible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Yeah I know but around 90% of my data are files that aren't videos so i'd benefit from it. I store most of my video files to another folder to which I can just disable compression.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Yeah I know but around 90% of my data are files that aren't videos so i'd benefit from it. I store most of my video files to another folder to which I can just disable compression.

Please write dataset if you mean dataset to avoid confusion. The compression setting in ZFS is specific to datasets.

Status
Not open for further replies.