SOLVED Shares Not Mapping Correctly to User Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhumm2

Explorer
I have a FNAS with the following shares:
fnas-shares-1.jpg

We have 3 other computers in the house and all are connected to our home network; 2 wirelessly (Carol and Jean) and 1 hardwired (Mark) through the router:
USER OS
Mark Kubuntu 14.04 LTS installed
Jean Windoze 10
Carol Windoze Vista

I tried to set the shares up so that each user (Mark, Jean, and Carol) could map their own share and the 'share' share to their computers. I'm 2/3 successful. I (Mark, as a user, not root) have access to the 'Mark' and 'Share' shares from my Kubuntu computer. Jean has mapped the 'Jean' and 'Share' Shares to her Windoze machine. Carol can only map to the 'Mark' and 'Share' Shares and I do not know why. It appears that her share (Carol) is configured exactly like the Mark and Jean shares are. Apparently though, it is not. I log into her computer with her credentials and I just don't know what the problem is or how to find it. If you need to see something else, I will gladly oblige. Please help.

nojohnny101

Wizard
What are the permissions types and owner:user / owner:group on each dataset?

mhumm2

Explorer
m0nkey... I watched your youtube videos; very well done. I think my frustration with FreeNAS is the seemingly deliberate intent to not provide a holistic or executive summary at the beginning of every chapter of the guide. Case in point. Provide an end result, in this case, a properly configured basic share with one user. Then state the relationships between User, Group, Dataset, Share, and permissions. Only after the "big picture" and those critical relationships have been stated, up front, should the guide then address all the extras and enhancements that would make up the advanced explanation. So I've watched your video. I even took notes, and I've read the guide, section 10.4 about SMB Shares which is what mine are, but I still do not understand the relationships. Here's something I've done to better 'see' the relationships. Please correct as necessary.

fnas-UGS-1.jpg

I have each user assigned to a group, then I 'link' those groups (as owner group) to the shares folders. Since all the users are in the 'users' group, when I link the 'users' group to the folder, 'Share' everyone should have access. Do I have a clue or not? If not, what am I missing?

mhumm2

Explorer
M0nkey, thank you. I watched both videos, but I'm still having some trouble. Referring to your Advanced Permissions video, I think it's very strange that I have to change permissions so other users can't even open my share, from the client computer. But, that's what I did and it seemed to work on both windoze machines, but not on my Kubuntu machine. I get the error: "Changing the attributes of Files is not supported with protocol smb."

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think it's very strange that I have to change permissions so other users can't even open my share
Just as strange as defaulting them to invisble for everyone but the owner. That's why they're "sane defaults" and not "magical permissions that work for every single user in the world".
Kubuntu machine. I get the error: "Changing the attributes of Files is not supported with protocol smb."
Well then, that sounds like a client OS limitation. Use Windows to manage permissions until they get it working.

mhumm2

Explorer
Yes, I thought so too so I tried to set the permissions from a windoze laptop. I get the following error message:

"Stopping the propagation of permission settings leads to an inconsistent state, in which some objects have the settings, but other don't. If you made the change by mistake, you should apply the correct change immediately to achieve a consistent state."

Well I certainly want a consistent state <sarcastic smirk>. I am at a total loss. I have 3 CIF folders and 3 users. Using windoze, I was able to set the correct permissions on 2 of the 3 folders. The other folder (which I believe is set up the same as the other 2), cannot have its permissions set from Kubuntu Linux or windoze. What I'm I doing wrong?

mhumm2

Explorer
I rebooted the entire system and was able to use the win10 machine to set the permissions of the Mark folder. No error messages were displayed and it seems all of the shares work as they should. I don't know what the problem was with Kubuntu and Vista not being able to adjust the share permissions, but it's done. Thank you for the advice I did receive. It is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.