Setting up a raidz1 with different sized disks - FreeNAS 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusan

Guru
Try to zpool export it in the CLI and then Auto Import it in the GUI.

strange

Dabbler
Lol, silly me. So obvious - how did i expect to import if i never exported? Thanks again.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You are missing the fact that you "should" be doing this from the GUI. I realize you can't with the current volume manager, but that doesn't negate the potential problems you may have later. The best way to deal with your situation was to install FreeNAS 8.3.1 and use the old volume manager to make your pool, then upgrade to 9.x.

strange

Dabbler
You are missing the fact that you "should" be doing this from the GUI. I realize you can't with the current volume manager, but that doesn't negate the potential problems you may have later. The best way to deal with your situation was to install FreeNAS 8.3.1 and use the old volume manager to make your pool, then upgrade to 9.x.

Sounds reasonable, would you suggest I trash what I have and go the 8.3.1 -> upgrade to 9.x route?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's what I would do. I've done that for friends because the new volume manager just sucks with its limitations. I even made a ticket on this issue...https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3274

Unfortunately, its probably never going to happen...

strange

Dabbler
Great, if it's good enough for cyberjock, it's good enough for me ;)
Watched your presentation and read a few of your articles, really good stuff.
Thank you.

P.S. I know that 7 disks is not recommended for raidz2, but does it make a significant difference compared to 6? If I remember correctly, in one of your articles you stated that it was not too much of a big deal. I really like the extra space so long as it doesn't impact performance too greatly or cause instability.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
For home users that just want to share out their collection it won't matter. If you are wanting to do ESXi datastores on your pool then it can make a big difference. There's also some disk space lost due to unused "slack" space. I don't match the ideal situation and I don't worry about it. If I won the lottery I'd worry about it just because I could. But it's not such a big deal I'm going to lose sleep over it.

strange

Dabbler
For home users that just want to share out their collection it won't matter. If you are wanting to do ESXi datastores on your pool then it can make a big difference. There's also some disk space lost due to unused "slack" space. I don't match the ideal situation and I don't worry about it. If I won the lottery I'd worry about it just because I could. But it's not such a big deal I'm going to lose sleep over it.

I've successfully followed your recommendations (8.3 -> create raidz3 pool -> upgrade to 9.1.1) and everything seems to be working well. Took me a bit of time to set permissions up, they are not very intuitive, but fortunately the forums here are great and I did some reading and eventually figured it out. So anyway, I've noticed that the available size on my pool is 4.1TB - somewhat less than i would have thought: 2x2TB, 2x1.5TB, 3x1TB in raidz2, so that's 5 drives contributing 1TB each and 2 parity drives. I know one only gets about 930GB of usable space from a 1TB drive, so that would total around 4.65TB. The swap partitions would cost 10GB, bringing it down to 4.64. That means i'm short by about 500GB - is that how much I lose from having a non-optimal 7 disk raidz2 pool, or are there other factors?

MtK

Patron
I've successfully followed your recommendations (8.3 -> create raidz3 pool -> upgrade to 9.1.1) and everything seems to be working well.
something I noticed is that the pool needs to be manually updated to v28.

not sure way the upgrade process doesn't take care of that (or at least offer or mention something about it).

gpsguy

If you upgrade ZFS versions, there's no going back.

Version 28 was introduced with 8.3.x and is a worthwhile update. Pools created with v9.x have feature flags and is often referred to as version 5000. A number of experienced user's, running 9.1.x have held off upgrading to the latest version of ZFS, so they can still use FreeNAS 8.3.2 if necessary.

strange

Dabbler

not sure way the upgrade process doesn't take care of that (or at least offer or mention something about it).

indeed, i did it through the CLI

MtK

Patron
If you upgrade ZFS versions, there's no going back.
not trying to go back...
Version 28 was introduced with 8.3.x and is a worthwhile update. Pools created with v9.x have feature flags and is often referred to as version 5000. A number of experienced user's, running 9.1.x have held off upgrading to the latest version of ZFS, so they can still use FreeNAS 8.3.2 if necessary.

I'm just saying, if you upgrade (specially from the GUI) from FN8 to FN9 and there is a ZFS update... offer/mention it...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've successfully followed your recommendations (8.3 -> create raidz3 pool -> upgrade to 9.1.1) and everything seems to be working well. Took me a bit of time to set permissions up, they are not very intuitive, but fortunately the forums here are great and I did some reading and eventually figured it out. So anyway, I've noticed that the available size on my pool is 4.1TB - somewhat less than i would have thought: 2x2TB, 2x1.5TB, 3x1TB in raidz2, so that's 5 drives contributing 1TB each and 2 parity drives. I know one only gets about 930GB of usable space from a 1TB drive, so that would total around 4.65TB. The swap partitions would cost 10GB, bringing it down to 4.64. That means i'm short by about 500GB - is that how much I lose from having a non-optimal 7 disk raidz2 pool, or are there other factors?

No, its a few other factors.

Actually its upgrading to v5000. It's not offered because its expected that the server admin will have his stuff together and determine when to upgrade for himself after reading the "known limitations" section of the FreeNAS manual. If it was offered 99% of people would click it, then realized they just screwed themselves over bigtime. It's smarter to let people do what they should be doing anyway, reading the manual.

In particular, once you upgrade you can't go back to v28. You should not willy-nilly upgrade and instead think long and hard about upgrading as you can't undo it. Plenty of people have stupidly upgraded to v5000, then realized their hardware wasn't compatible and they couldn't go back because the first thing they did after installing 9.x was upgrade the zpool. /facepalm

Most(all?) of us mods are still on v28 because the volume manager is too controlling and too limiting. There's no reason to upgrade to v5000 right now, so why do it if you don't have to?

Status
Not open for further replies.