SOLVED Server Pingable but unable to connect to shares or see in Windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterH

Cadet
Hi all, I setup a FreeNAS server last year, had it working fine...and then got swamped with other things and promptly forgot about it. Go figure.
Anyhow, today I looked at it and discovered I was unable to access any of the file shares. I can ping and access the web interface, but it does not show up in Windows Explorer nor does mapping a network drive work.

Build: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011
Client computer is a windows 10 machine
There's no firewall between me and the FreeNas
The last time the server worked it had an ip of .13, apparently that changed to .14 at some point.
The server can get out to the internet as is evident by the weekly emails I receive from it.
I've checked to make sure that File Sharing/discovery was on (it is).
Restarted the CIFS service as well as the server itself.
Unable to access via Windows explorer via the name or the IP Address.

It's been a while since I've toyed with this so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what may be causing the issue. I've done some searching of the forums and nothing has been able to fix it.

Any suggestions? If there's more info you need, I'll happily gather it.

Thanks
Jon

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Please provide hardware details per the forum rules. You'll likely to get more responses :)

MisterH

Cadet
Please provide hardware details per the forum rules. You'll likely to get more responses :)

Ah right. Duh, leave off useful info :D
CPU: Intel i7 920 (2.67 ghz)
RAM: 12 GB
Hard Drives: 4 1 TB drives (Western Digitals), raidz2

I wish I could give more information but it's an older computer I cobbled together from the closet. It was once a desktop computer, so nothing specialized about it.

All my stuff has worked in the past, just haven't touched it in several months and its now disagreeing with me, so I have doubts its hardware but, eh, once you say that it turns out to be hardware :)

snaptec

Guru
You have fn running in a VM ?
Because you wrote "on a Linux box"

Please provide the network config.

Do you get any error messages when you try to connect?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

MisterH

Cadet
You have fn running in a VM ?
Because you wrote "on a Linux box"
Apologies, I meant to remove that, it was a former linux box. I just installed it from the USB image thing last year. Boy I'm doing good on information today (I blame allergies).

Please provide the network config.
Network config is fairly straight forward:
Hostname: Kennel
Domain: local
IPv4 Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Nameservers are set to googles name servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4)
Rest of fields in the web interface are empty.
IP Address is assigned by the router so its 192.168.1.14

Nothing is listed in the Interfaces, link, static routes, or vlan tabs.

Do you get any error messages when you try to connect?
I can connect to the web page without any problems at all, and I can ping it without issues.
Attempting to connect via windows explorer (mapping or just \\192.168.1.14\MyFiles) returns a 'Windows cannot access \\192.168.1.14\MyFiles\" error box.

If there's another way to get you the info you want, just lemme know and I'll dig it up.

MisterH

Cadet
So I ended up solving this issue on my own. I discovered that under Services->CIFS that the IP Address was not bound to the new address (it had changed). I checked that, saved it, and viola, was able to connect. Yaaaay, all fixed.
Just posting in case someone else had a similar issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.