Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Thagard

Dabbler
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201601181840

1. Add local AD domain credentials
2. Make a volume
3. Make a dataset
4. Set volume and dataset to windows with starting off owner AD user and AD group for each
5. Copy some files onto my new Windows dataset
6. Try to change permissions from the root level, ie \\hostname\share, on the Windows side, but nothing takes. On some Windows machines it will go through the process of touching files. On other Windows machines explorer hangs then crashes. Either way, I take a look and its set to defaults like nothing every happened:

webgui set user full control
webgui set group full control
webgui set everyone read and execute

7. Try to change permissions from the subfolder level and it says that inheritance should be turned off first. But I am unable to turn off inheritance as Windows Explorer will hang, then crash. Again, this is from any Windows machine of which I have many to choose.

I get the feeling that I'm missing something very basic or something is very wrong. Help?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201601181840

1. Add local AD domain credentials
2. Make a volume
3. Make a dataset
4. Set volume and dataset to windows with starting off owner AD user and AD group for each
5. Copy some files onto my new Windows dataset
6. Try to change permissions from the root level, ie \\hostname\share, on the Windows side, but nothing takes. On some Windows machines it will go through the process of touching files. On other Windows machines explorer hangs then crashes. Either way, I take a look and its set to defaults like nothing every happened:

webgui set user full control
webgui set group full control
webgui set everyone read and execute

7. Try to change permissions from the subfolder level and it says that inheritance should be turned off first. But I am unable to turn off inheritance as Windows Explorer will hang, then crash. Again, this is from any Windows machine of which I have many to choose.

I get the feeling that I'm missing something very basic or something is very wrong. Help?
Perhaps post a debug tarball "system" -> "advanced" -> "save debug". This will contain information about your system, config, and network. If you feel uncomfortable posting it send it as a PM to me.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Debug uploaded as PM to you, anodos, directly. Thank you.
A few points I noticed:
1) Your server is joined to the domain - AD users and groups are populated
2) samba is reporting hostname / address mismatches (see /var/log/samba4/log.smbd). This may indicate some DNS problems on your network. I'd take a close look at your DNS and compare it with DHCP leases on your network.
3) samba is reporting some talloc errors for files that contain special characters in their names. The talloc errors may be causing timeouts / preventing the permissions changes from propagating. Not sure what to do to workaround this.
4) You have a RAID card. FreeNAS won't be able to monitor SMART status. Additionally, it may lead to data loss. See Joshua Paetzel's blog entry here: http://www.freenas.org/whats-new/20...design-part-i-purpose-and-best-practices.html
If you must use a RAID controller, disable all write caching on it and disable all consistency checks. If the RAID controller has a passthrough or JBOD mode, use it. RAID controllers will complicate disk replacement and improperly configuring them can jeopardize the integrity of your volume (Using the write cache on a RAID controller is an almost sure-fire way to cause data loss with ZFS, to the tune of losing the entire pool).
Note that Dell makes HBA cards. These are much better suited to FreeNAS / ZFS.

I'd create a private bug report here: https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas, attach your debug tarball, and note the talloc errors in /var/log/samba4/log.smbd.

Last edited:

Gordon Thagard

Dabbler
I have opened up a bug report as suggested. I will now review my options for working around the RAID card on my system. Thank you for your assistance.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Status
Not open for further replies.