Unable to see freenas in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

logscool

Cadet
I am unable to see the freenas server through windows explorer. I have set up a CIFS share and a zfs volume as well as a user. I am able to access the nas through my web browser but it does not get displayed in windows explorer and am unable to browse to it.

I could have easily not set up something correctly as this is my first time setting up freenas. I am running version 8.0.1 RC2.

Durkatlon

Patron
What workgroup do you use? By default the FreeNAS workgroup is called WORKGROUP. Windows machines also use this default, but if you changed it to something else, you need the NAS box to follow suit.

logscool

Cadet
I am now able to see and connect to all of my shares on a windows xp pc but can not access them on my windows 7 computer. To the best of my knowledge the settings for the network on the 7 pc are all default.

Maltbyite

Cadet
Hi All,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having the same problem as logscool. As far as I can tell, I've followed all the steps correctly in the wiki posted by cubix (user, volume, CIFS share and CIFS service all created, activated and linked) to allow Anonymous Access and the workgroups of my server (running 8.0.3) and laptop (windows 7) are both set to WORKGROUP.

Any other thoughts on reasons why I can't see the FreeNAS server? I'm not having any network issues as far as I can tell (happily surfing the web and access my current server) and don't have access to another PC at the minute.

Cheers

Edit - I should also add that I'm fully able to communicate with the server from my laptop from the webUI and by pinging it's IP address

ujval

Cadet
Have you tried exploring the freenas through the address bar? eg open my computer and then type "\\FreeNAS" or "\\(FREENAS IP)" in the address bar.

I had similar problem i could not see freenas on my windows 7 when i click network but doing the above solved the problem

ward0

Dabbler
Have you tried exploring the freenas through the address bar? eg open my computer and then type "\\FreeNAS" or "\\(FREENAS IP)" in the address bar.

I had similar problem i could not see freenas on my windows 7 when i click network but doing the above solved the problem

I already tried your solution but to no avail. It seems host related .. that my windows7 can't find the netbios name of the freenas.

JaimieV

Guru
Trying "\\(FREENAS IP)" would bypass the netbios name problems.

ward0

Dabbler
Trying "\\(FREENAS IP)" would bypass the netbios name problems.

I already tried but to no avail. I think its a problem on my windows7 machine ..

For the moment i'm connecting trough FTP w/o problem but network share would be nice.

Maltbyite

Cadet
Sorry to raise this thread again - I've being away and never solved the issue.

I've gone through the resource guide and fully aligned the settings on my server with those in the attached guide (link - http://www.freenas.org/images/resou...1.7.2.3.Configuring Local User Access|outline) but I'm still having no joy.

I'm still able to connect to the server via the UI and by ping, but I'm not able to connect when I map the drive (by IP or NetBIOS name).

Since I have no data on the drive, I'm happy to start fully again from installing FreeNAS and follow a newer/better guide for allowing universal network access to a CIFS share if one is available.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.