serial port terminal emulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPlumber

Patron
So since my new FreeNAS box has IPMI and I can get to it's console that way I'd like to use it's serial port to call out to my pfSense box' serial console port. Usually I'd simply use something like
Code:
screen -S usbserial.pfsense.console -t pfsense.console -T ansi /dev/tty.usbserial 115200
as the lowest common denominator. But FreeNAS doesn't have screen and for all it's other advantages tmux ignores the existence of serial ports.

So, any suggestions? Please don't say "cu" it'll trigger UUCP flashbacks...:eek:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not a clue. Since this is definitely outside the intended use cases for FreenAS I'd say "good luck".

Good luck!

DaPlumber

Patron
The FreeNAS mini's ASRock C2750D4I serial port seems to be locked (BIOS?) for use as a serial console, even if it's not being used. Sigh.

OK, so one USB-serial converter plugged and recognized into the mini's only available rear USB port (APC UPS on the other) and we can:
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# tmux
freenas# cu -t -l /dev/cuaU0 -s 115200                                                                                             
Connected                                                                                                                       

FreeBSD/amd64 (pfsense) (console)                                                                                                 

login:

Sigh, screen is so much easier and one step, newer isn't always better.:(
Note the upper case "U" on the cu (shudder) line is apparently FreeBSD-ism I'm still trying to figure out, not a typo.

I don't think I've used cu in over ten years, but at least it's part of the image. I'm not going to run a jail, just for minicom! :rolleyes: Yes Virginia, tip is there too, a) /etc/remote is not writeable and b) it's just a front end for cu anyway.

Now excuse me I'm going to go sit down with a large cup of caffeine and pretend the UUCP years never happened...:eek:

c32767a

Patron
A Real Man would set up a FreeNAS build environment, grab a copy of screen, build it and then add it to his production boxes.. Especially if he remembers using cu and the times when tip != cu.

:p

DaPlumber

Patron
This Real Hacker is using FreeNAS precisely to avoid hacking anything NAS related. Been there, done that, Life's too short and more interesting things to hack on demand more time. :D I'll live with cu in tmux, but I still think "screen" would have been a better choice... :p

Of course there's an xkcd: http://xkcd.com/378/

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Eh, CLI is so 1980s... REAL men use MetroUI!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This Real Hacker is using FreeNAS precisely to avoid hacking anything NAS related. Been there, done that, Life's too short and more interesting things to hack on demand more time. :D I'll live with cu in tmux, but I still think "screen" would have been a better choice... :p

Of course there's an xkcd: http://xkcd.com/378/

I just realized that xkcd is kinda like emacs...

DaPlumber

Patron
I just realized that xkcd is kinda like emacs...

Inception!

I have an idea for how to generate power from typing on my keyboard..

I'll refuse a piezo that action, I type too lightly.

Eh, CLI is so 1980s... REAL men use MetroUI!

Real STUPID Men maybe. :p Cue Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie: http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q=Three+Dead+Trolls+in+a+Baggie+Every+OS+sucks or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85p7JZXNy

Status
Not open for further replies.