Resource icon

Troubleshooting disk format warnings in TrueNAS SCALE 7.4.5

yucong111

Dabbler
Hi @Daisuke
When I upgraded the scale from core I can't see my pool anymore and I get the error ‘Disk(s): sdm, sdj, sdh, sdf, sdi, sda are formatted with Data Integrity Feature (DIF) which is Not supported‘ , how can I save my data?

Daisuke

Contributor
I added a new Firmware Update section, under HGST. For now, I posted a download script, allowing you to download the firmware and extract it directly on your TrueNAS server (since the Linux unzip command is not compatible with the HDDGuru zip files. Next step is to write the flashing procedure, once I have some time to test it properly.

Goath

Cadet
Thanks for this great post I have 8 HGST Sun Oracle branded disks with this warning. From what I have read so far I have to use hugo to make any changes and not use fast format correct? sg_format says block size is already 512 though. Would be great to get some help to make sure I do the correct precedure. Will probably take a while doing that one drive at a time and then resilvering them.
Code:
root@Chungus[~]# sg_format /dev/sdb
    HGST      H7210A520SUN010T  A3Y1   peripheral_type: disk [0x0]
      << supports protection information>>
      Unit serial number: 001727R07VBN        E4G07VBN
      LU name: 5000cca2680075e0
Mode Sense (block descriptor) data, prior to changes:
  <<< longlba flag set (64 bit lba) >>>
  Number of blocks=19134414848 [0x474800000]
  Block size=512 [0x200]
Read Capacity (16) results:
   Protection: prot_en=1, p_type=0, p_i_exponent=0
   Logical block provisioning: lbpme=0, lbprz=0
   Logical blocks per physical block exponent=3
   Lowest aligned logical block address=0
   Number of logical blocks=19134414848
   Logical block size=512 bytes
No changes made. To format use '--format'. To resize use '--resize'
root@Chungus[~]#

Goath

Cadet
Nevermind I thought I had to use Hugo because I have HGST drives but sg_format worked. Just did one drive and formatted it to 4096 and sg_readcap says now prot_en=0. The disc is also now 9.1Tib instead of 8.91Tib. Should have been a red flag when creating the pool but never heard about those weird sector sizes before. Took like 8h to format and now it's resilvering for over 4h and is around 35 % done. I should maybe get the data somehow off the pool and just format them all at once since doing 7 more that way would take like a week. Anyway thanks for the post after some further reading and some other posts on the internet that I have found was way more straight forward than I expected.

irpea

Cadet
Thank you for writing this thread. After noticing DIF error on all 4 of my new SAS disks on a fresh TrueNAS Scale install, I tried following the instructions laid here.

First I used "sg_readcap -l /dev/sda" commands and found out 3 disks had p1 flag. I tried looking at iDrac to see if my H730p perc had anything to with it, and it said T01 protection is disabled.. i tried "time sg_format -v -F /dev/sda", but after 16 hours on a 6TB disk, it said it has Protection 2 now. So I bought HBA330.

1 week later, I try same command "time sg_format -v -F /dev/sda" with no effect. Since I do have 4096K sector disks, I tried to do "time sg_format -v -F -s 4096 /dev/sda", only for it to become a 528 4224k disk. After that I tried time sg_format -v -F -s 512 /dev/sda, and before it started the command, i exited. To double check and write down my current "sg_readcap -l /dev/sda" values. It said that the device is not ready. I rebooted R730xD server and now my disk is not shown on fdisk, lsblk says it's 0B large and sg_readcap says: "Device not ready".

What are my options? Thank you for your help in advance :)

xcomm99

Cadet
@Daisuke

Thank you for the write up it looks to have helped resolve my problem.

Story Time
Upgraded from Core to Scale and got the DIF error message along with two drive in the raidz2 pool reporting errors and degraded state.
Backup all my data to start, and then moved on to trouble shooting. ended up back on core and the drives showed no errors. Cleared the errors and the pools health state ran fine over some file read and writes. After a couple more days I decided it was time to move to scale again.
This time the pool lost no drives but the DIF error was front and center.

Found this thread and started looking at the details of the drives.
Pool is 6x 8TB HUH721008AL5204 drives, that showed protection type 2.
I was thinking because these where the Helium HGST drives that I would be flashing firmware, but I started with a simple format "sg_format -v /dev/sdx" after the format the drives no longer show protection, and they have been added back to the pool. Disk formatting took about 10 hours. The drive formatting was also 512 to start so I did not have to correct that before updating the formatting.

Thanks again

djbigd01

Cadet
hello im lost and dont know what to do next

i have a dell poweredge r520 with the flashed h710 mini
i have hgst drives
root@truenas[/home/admin]# sg_readcap -l /dev/sdi
Read Capacity results:
Protection: prot_en=1, p_type=1, p_i_exponent=0 [type 2 protection]
Logical block provisioning: lbpme=0, lbprz=0
Last LBA=2424569855 (0x9083ffff), Number of logical blocks=2424569856
Logical block length=4096 bytes
Logical blocks per physical block exponent=0
Lowest aligned LBA=0
Hence:
Device size: 9931038130176 bytes, 9470976.0 MiB, 9931.04 GB, 9.93 TB
root@truenas[/home/admin]# sg_scan -i /dev/sdi
/dev/sdi: scsi0 channel=0 id=7 lun=0 [em]
IBM-D050 HUH721010AL4200 J6R5 [rmb=0 cmdq=1 pqual=0 pdev=0x0]
so this means i have T10 PI does this mean i have to update the firmware?
im very new to all of this and dont want to destroy all these disks i just got